Part 25

"I guess, that part.. not that much of a surprise. But.." Lucas paused.

"But what?"

"The most surpising part is how much it hurts me."

"What hurt you?"

"You, Maya."

"Me? Okay I did some bad things and a few really bad things. But I don't remember hurting someone twice the size of me."

"Not physical. Almost though. When Riley told me you quit. I was hurt."

"Why?"

"I.. guess.."

"No. I don't want guesses or maybes. You know what, let's just drop this. I've hurt Riley enough." I pushed the elevator button.

"Maya, you know I like you."

"Doesn't matter Hopalong. We all know you like me. But not the same way you like Riley. You'd move mountains for her." The elevator door opened and we walked in.

"I'd do anything for my friends."

"You broke the counters at Topanga's when you found out she was being bullied."

"Like I said, I'd do anything for my friends."

"And like I said. You don't like me the way you like Riley."

The elevator door opened and I walked out. Lucas followed me then grabbed my arm.

"You're right. I don't." He stared into my eyes. "I like you way more than I like her."

"That's not possible."

"Why not?"

"Because she's Riley." I smiled. "And I'm Maya."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"You'd be crazy if you pick me over her. She's perfect. Everybody love her."

"Maybe I am crazy. Because I know you're the perfect girl for me."

"Lucas, stop."

"You want me to make a decision, Maya."

"Yeah, before I quit."

"Look, Maya. I'm sorry I didn't have the courage to say this sooner. I'm sorry you had to leave me for me to understand my feelings. But.."

"No more buts.. I'm leaving."

"Maya, wait!" Lucas pulled tigher as I was about to walk away.

"What?"

"Can't you put my feelings into account too? There's a reason why it's called a triangle. There are three feelings involved."

"Right. Three. You know what that feels like? For me? I feel like I have to compete with my best friend, who by the way, has everything. I don't have a dad, barely have a mom, I barely even have a house. Now, I'm supposed to fight my best friend to get a boyfriend? No. I'm sorry but I don't want that."

"Maya.."

"Growing up with Riley, you know how I feel? She had it easy. Everybody loves her. Everything's about her. Riley this and Riley that. And I'm always okay with that. You know why? Because she's great, and I love her. She shares her family with me.  And I'm grateful for that. But you? You are the one thing I can't take from her."