Chapter fifty-three

***Nikki's POV***

Ashley was on a plane back to Australia within the week. Luke said that it was a relief to see her go but at the same time it was hard to see that chapter of his life close. He'd offered to drive her to the airport the day she left, but she shot the offer down quickly stating that she didn't need his pity. Which Luke only retaliated against saying that she wasn't the only one hurting, which was entirely accurate. Luke was feeling all the stages of grief.

As the two week mark since that horrible night approached, his entire demeanor perked up. Luke had mourned the loss but was now fully ready to leave it all behind him and move on, and he did so in perfect timing with an ultrasound for the twins.

"We need to start thinking about names," he brought up the idea as we drove towards the clinic.

"We have time," Naming the babies was something I had been putting off for a long time. Just the thought that I would be giving names to two humans that would have to keep those names for the rest of their lives completely terrified me.

"Nik, we don't at least not really. There's what, four weeks until your due date? I wouldn't classify that as having all the time in the world." I groaned at his need to bring logic into this, which only lead to him giggling and receiving a glare from me. "But seriously, do you have any ideas?"

"I have no freaking clue in the world where we should even start, and what makes it so much harder is that there is two of them Luke, not one but two."

"Yes, but since we're having a boy and a girl we can pick our favorite boy name and favorite girl name."

"That's true, but they need to sound good together. Then there's the fact that some people give twins names that match or coincide and stuff,"

"Okay, so I can see that this is stressing you out, so why don't we just put the idea on the back burner and if we hear names we like we can text them to each other or something?"

"Okay sounds perfect."

"I want to go out," Luke said grabbing my hand, linking it with his a pulling it to rest on his lap.

"What do you mean, 'go out,'"

"Like on a date," For the millionth time that car ride I found myself rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, not going to happen."

"Why not? Come on Nikki; there're about four weeks until we have, not one, but two newborn babies. How about we go out and have a date before we need to be overly responsible eighteen-year-olds?" He finished his small rant just as we pulled up to the doctors. I thought for a second and found myself nodding my head lightly because he was right soon all freedom we possess will be taken away.

"Yeah I guess that we can go on a date. But can we go somewhere low key? I've been tired a lot lately and plus your fans won't be happy if you're seen out on the town with a pregnant girl."

"Screw them. Nikki, you're my girlfriend, and you're - hopefully - having my children, maybe it's time that we make this all public. It's not like you're going anywhere anytime soon,"

~*~

After the appointment Luke dropped me off at my apartment, telling me that he'd pick me up around 6 - which to some may seem early for a date but when you're eight months pregnant, it's perfect - and to dress fancy.

I spent my afternoon pampering myself in the lead up to the date, a mud mask and bubble bath later I was dressed and had my hair done. Sure enough at almost precisely 6, there was a knock at my door. It amazed me how even now I still felt the same childish giddiness of a middle schooler at the thought of Luke.