Chapter 14, Brenda (WICKED):

Brenda woke with a start, realizing what had happened the day before. She got up quickly and ran out the door. Not paying attention to the staff looking at her with confusion, she ran faster than ever before to get to the control room where all the video footage from the maze would be shown. The room was all the way on the other side of the building and by the time she got there, she was breathing heavily and her vision was slightly blurred. She took a moment to gather her thoughts and tiptoed into the control room. It was a dark room with red lights flashing in every corner. All of the screens were pitch black and turned off. She had to figure out how to turn them on, there were so many different switches on the left wall. Brenda made her way over to them and inspected them for a few seconds. She started to try them, turning them on and off, starting on the left and making her way to the right. Once she turned the second to last one on, all of the computer screens turned on one after the other. The brightness hurt Brenda's eyes so she squinted to get accustomed to the new light. She glanced at each screen in turn until she saw a small movement at one of the entrances of the area. There were three buildings dotted around the square. One corner had a forest in it as well. Alby was dragging someone across the grass and into the middle of the square-shaped area, following him were Newt, Minho and some other boys. Then it hit her, the crazed boy being dragged by Alby was her brother, George. She stared intensely at the screen, tears forming in her eyes. George had been stung by a Griever, one of those big mechanical creatures that lived amongst the maze walls. Their sting is poisonous and makes the victim go crazy. No wonder George was flailing his arms and legs, spit flying everywhere and eyes bulging out of his head. Brenda cried, she did not want to acknowledge what was coming although she knew full well. Once in the middle of the field, Alby let go of George and tied him down to the opening of the box. He walked over to the forest and grabbed a stick, reached into his pocket and took his knife. He walked back to George, sat down and started to talk to him, talking to him, apologizing for letting him into the maze. Alby sharpened his stick, still talking to George. Brenda sobbed, George could not understand what was being said to him. He grabbed at the rope holding him back, trying to break it. He wore himself out and ended up panting on the ground. Alby mumbled something to a few of the boys and they walked towards the woods. Brenda glanced at another camera to see that they were digging what appeared to be a grave. She choked back a sob. She turned back to the first screen to see that Alby was finished his spear. Several boys started gathering around Alby and George. The grave diggers returned from the forest and stood with the others. Alby stood and took a step towards George.

Then Alby whispered a small "sorry." George screeched and kicked out with his legs. The scream was cut short with a splatter of scarlet blood and the limp, dead body of Brenda's brother, George. Brenda collapsed to the floor of the command room, bawling her eyes out and weeping loudly. Suddenly, a notification popped up on the main screen, it read: Subject A2: Deceased; Stabbed by Subject A1. Just as Brenda read the last word, a group of people burst into the room and with a searing pain to the head, everything went black.