Chapter 13, Brenda (WICKED):

Brenda sat on the bed in her room. It was only twelve thirty but she couldn't wait any longer. As quietly as possible she pried the grating off of the vent above her bed. She had memorized the vent routes in her head in case she would need to use them as an escape. This was before Brenda had realized that the vents leading outside were barred and guarded. She clambered into the vent, and clicked on the flashlight in her hand. She crawled along on all fours while trying to shine her light in front of her. There was a thick layer of dust beneath her and it made her eyes water. Brenda turned the flashlight off as she could heard voices. She crawled to the nearest grate and glanced down. She saw one of the more important doctors talking to the young boy with brown hair, Thomas.

"...Tomorrow, we need to send the first group in tomorrow. The maze is finished and we're done building the creatures," she heard Thomas say. The other man nodded and they continued down the hallway. Brenda turned her light back on and continued through the winding vents. When she reached the gym she swung the vent grate open and dropped to the floor. The vent was a bit higher than the one in her room but she should still be able to get back out. Brenda checked the watch on her wrist, ten to one. She slumped to the floor and waited. As the minutes ticked by she could feel her excitement rising, she would see George again. The door to the gym creaked open and Brenda leapt to her feet. and walked over to the door. George stared at her as if she were a ghost. Then he took her into his arms and they stood there for a few minutes just hugging. Brenda could feel tears slipping down her face.

"I thought I'd never see you again. Where did they take you?" George asked her as they separated.

Brenda stared up at him, "I've been here working for them, but that isn't important. They'll be sending the first group into the maze tomorrow. You probably won't be one of the first people, we need to get you out of here." George nodded. Brenda knew it was impossible to get George out right away. It would involve way too much planning and work. George and Brenda sat down on the cold gym floor and talked to each other. They told each other everything that had happened to them. Brenda fidgeted with her flashlight while she listened to George. She glanced down at her watch and noticed how late it was. Brenda leapt to her feet and George stood too.

"I need to go, they're going to check to make sure I'm in my room soon," Brenda murmured. George nodded and helped her crawl back into the vent. Brenda pulled the grate back into place. She crawled through the vent and leapt onto her bed, crawling under her blankets. A few minutes later her door creaked open then closed with a click of the lock. Brenda slipped into sleep.

The next day Brenda went about her usual chores and tasks. She was hurrying through a hallway, lost in thought. She was delivering sedatives to the chamber where the Subjects would have their memories wiped. She was about to turn the corner to the hallway when she heard a dozen set of feet walking down the hallway behind her. Brenda turned and saw the group of young boys walking towards her. George was walking near the front of the group and Brenda let out a scream as her gaze met his. She ran towards him, her and George needed to get out of there. Two scientists stepped forward and grabbed her harshly. Brenda twisted and tried to escape. She kicked, scratched and bit the men holding her back. The group turned the corner and another scientist picked up the sedatives Brenda had been carrying and hurried around the corner. Brenda let herself fall limp, it was too late, George was gone. The scientists carried her away and brought her to a small isolated room. The lock it as they left. She let herself slip onto the ground as she sobbed.