Chapter 4, Brenda:

It had been a year since the death of Brenda's mother. Brenda and her family had had to move camps again and again because of the Cranks. They had been forced to run at least 20 times so far and Brenda was exhausted and hungry. They had just relocated to a small camp to the West of what had once been Iqaluit, Canada. Iqaluit was on an island so it was harder for the Cranks to reach them. Brenda hoped that they could be safe here and finally stop fleeing.

A few days later, Brenda and George were out gathering water and cleaning laundry by the little stream near the camp. Brenda scrubbed her favorite forest green t-shirt, it had been her mother's. She thought about her mother. Brenda dreadfully missed her but she held back her tears. She was tough, she had to be, and did not want to be seen crying in front of her older brother, George. When they finished their chores they headed back to camp. They walked silently along the small path through the sparse forest. They reached the edge of the forest and looked out over the camp. Rows and rows of shelters, most made of tarps and poles that looked as if they would fall over at the slightest gust of wind. They walked through the shelters until they reached their small shelter. It was a blue tarp over a few strong poles made of branches. Brenda sighed as she started hanging their clothing on a rope strung up between two poles. Once she was finished hanging the few extra clothes that they had she walked into the tent. Her father was there, shouting at two men in green protective suits. Along their backs was the word WICKED. George entered the tent behind her and her father and the men didn't notice the two children watching them.

"They have to come with me, I know that it's hard but they are immune," one of the men from WICKED said angrily.

"No you can't take my children away for your experiments! They're my children and I say that they stay with me!" shouted Brenda's father. Brenda and her brother watched the shouting men nervously. Brenda examined the two men more closely each of them held a gun while her father held only a rolling pin.

The second man from WICKED spoke, "don't make us take them forcefully, they're coming with us no matter what. We need them to find a cure."

"I don't care!" shouted her father angrily.

George walked towards them and spoke quietly, "Brenda and I don't want to leave. Please can you leave us alone?"

The men pushed George away and continued talking, more quietly now. Brenda's father screamed and swung his rolling pin at one of the men in the green suits. The rolling pin collided with the man's head and he fell to the floor, moaning. There was a trickle of blood coming from his head. The second man raised his gun, pointing it towards her father's head as Brenda's father swung the rolling pin.

"No!" screamed Brenda. But it was too late. The man squeezed the trigger and there was a bang. Brenda's father crumpled to the ground immediately. There was a bloody hole in the center of his forehead where the bullet had hit. Brenda and George rushed to their father's side and they sat in the bloodied dirt crying. There seemed to be blood everywhere. So much blood. George held Brenda in his arms and tears flowed from their faces, falling to the ground and onto their dead father. The tears mixed with the blood and the dirt causing a watery red-brown liquid to run along the ground to the WICKED man's shoes. 

Author's Note: Yes we finally updated the rest of the story! We are so sorry we didn't do it sooner, it has been finished for a while but we all kept forgetting. Hope you enjoy the rest of the story!

- Sylminasha