Chapter 7, Brenda:

"You have to come with us," the man who shot Brenda's father said. He had put his gun away but it was still very visible like he was trying to point out to them what he could do.

"Never!" screamed Brenda. "How can you expect us to go with you after that!"

"Your father had been breaking laws, going against the government like that," the WICKED man replied, unemotionally.

"Since when is it against the laws to protect your children?" questioned George, angrily.

"You could be the key to saving the world, ridding it of Cranks so no more people would have to die like your mother," said the man. At the mention of her mother Brenda almost broke down in a new round of tears. How was she supposed to live without any parents?

But she held herself together and took a deep breath before saying, "my mother wouldn't have even been dead if it hadn't been for you!" George looked at her, questioningly, not sure what she was hinting at.

"How can it be our fault?" The man said. "We are simply here to help the world get back on it's feet."

Brenda started laughing hysterically before finally responding, "How is this your fault? How is this your fault?! Ha! It's all your fault. The governments were the ones who released the virus. You're the ones who said that we didn't have enough resources for everyone. You're the ones who said that the solution was to release this virus to eradicate the people "unfit" to live. You probably didn't even know much about this virus. You're murderers!"

"Now, now dear, no need to exaggerate." The man said slightly agitated. "We did what we thought was necessary in the terrible circumstances. The results were," he paused, "not what we had hoped for. But we are now dealing with the issue and we need your help to deal with this problem."

"No! I am not helping you with anything! I would rather die than to help you monsters!" yelled Brenda.

"Brenda. Don't say that," George whispered softly. But the man had already raised his gun and pointed it towards Brenda.

"Last chance," he said with a slight sneer. Brenda said nothing. The man pulled the trigger.

"No!" screamed George. It hit Brenda in the chest and she screamed. But it didn't hurt that bad, not as bad as it should have. Then Brenda realized that she should be dead. Why wasn't she dead? She looked down and where she expected there to be a bullet hole was a small dart. Brenda removed the dart but started to feel tired and woozy. Her eyes started to droop and it seemed so hard to stay upright. She realized the she had not been shot by a bullet but by a tranquilizer dart. The last thing she saw was her brother's worried eyes before she fell unconscious. The man turned to George.

"Now are you going to cooperate? Or would you like to take a nap too?" Asked the man harshly to George. George grumbled but got up anyway, looking worriedly at Brenda. Once the man knew George wasn't going anywhere he bent down to check if his partner was injured. George watched silently as the man's face went from concerned to pale white. He started checking the man's breathing and pulse in a bunch of different places. But all it did was confirm what he already knew. His partner was dead. He took a moment of sorrow but soon pulled himself together. The man picked Brenda up roughly and told George to follow him. They walked through the maze of tents and shelters. People stared at the man wearing the green protective suit, carrying an unconscious child with another one walking behind him. But, nobody made a move to help the children. They had seen kids taken before and knew they could do nothing. The strange man and the children were almost at the edge of the camp when a terrible noise came from their left. George looked and sure enough, a beaten up Crank was walking towards them. George could hear the screams of people around him, he could also hear the inhuman screeches of the Cranks. The Cranks had finally arrived. George didn't have time to wonder how they had gotten to the island. He was too busy trying to keep up to the man carrying his little sister. The man had started running faster after he saw the Crank and George was having trouble keeping up to him. Sweat trickled down the back of George's neck as he did his best to keep up. George realized that he had no idea where this person was taking him. He must have some kind of transportation, otherwise how would he have gotten to the island? Thought George. The man slowed down and George realized that they were approaching a berg. The hatch lowered towards the ground as the bergs engines started. The man passed Brenda to two men waiting at the edge of the hatch before jumping on himself. The berg started to rise from the ground just as George leapt onto the hatch. He was almost on when something grabbed his leg pulling him backwards. George screamed and tried to grasp something but there was nothing nearby. He yelped again when he felt a fingernail cut deep into his calf, tearing his skin. The berg continued to rise upwards and suddenly the pain in his leg became almost unbearable. The Crank had been lifted into the air and was only holding on to George's leg. It was yelling in frustration because it couldn't keep it's prey. By this point tears were streaming down George's face and his throat was raw from screaming. He had managed to use his knee to keep himself on the berg but with the extra weight of the Crank he could feel himself slipping again. Just when George was thinking all was hopeless he felt someone grab him around the waist and start pulling him into the berg. He saw someone else beating the Crank trying to get it to release George. After what felt like ages, the Crank let go and George was pulled completely into the berg. The hatch closed and he was carried into a room and laid down on a bed. A bunch of men started caring for his leg but he was too spaced out to notice. He turned his head to the right and saw across the room on another bunk, Brenda, peacefully sleeping. He smiled, at least she was safe. But suddenly the realization hit him and the smile was wiped from his face, he was trapped, with no way to escape. And with a pang to his heart he remembered his father was dead. He was an orphan. He almost laughed at this. If someone had told him, before the sun flares hit, that he was going to be an orphan he would have laughed in their face. But this wasn't funny. His mother had been killed by Cranks. His father killed by these strange people who had shot Brenda. New tears rolled down his cheeks and George suppressed a sob. With that, he fell into a troubled sleep wishing he could forget everything.