Chapter 1, Simon/Newt:

Simon was sitting in his living room with his little sister Rosie and his parents. They were watching a silly zombie movie that Rosie had picked. Simon thought these kinds of movies were dumb, but it was Rosie's night to pick. Suddenly they heard a scream cut short. At first he thought it had just come from the movie, until he realized that it was out of context. He quietly asked if anyone else had heard the strange scream. His parents looked at him, confused, because they had not been paying attention. Suddenly there was a wild yell outside. This time his parents heard the noise and looked toward the window. When a strangled scream was heard a few seconds later, his parents ran to the window. What they saw made them scream in horror. Simon ran over to the window followed by Rosie. A bloodied person was hunched over their young neighbour with whom Rosie used to play. He was ripping chunks off her face and eating them. Rosie screamed as she saw her friend being eaten, and the man turned toward the window. Simon gasped, the strange man was missing parts of his face! His left ear was gone, he was missing his right eye and clumps of his hair were missing. The man smiled as he staggered to his feet and stumbled towards the window. There was a crazed look on his face that made Simon shudder. Simon's mother grabbed Rosie and Simon and ran them upstairs. She pushed them into the storage room, which had no windows and only one door.

She tossed the key to Simon and said, "under no circumstances are you to leave this room. Your father and I are going to find out what's going on."

She hugged each of them, tears falling from her face. She left the room and Simon locked the door behind her. Rosie whispered, "wh-what was that thing Simon?"

With wide eyes he whispered, "I think that it might have been," he paused, "a Crank."

Rosie stared at him in horror, " I thought the Cranks were far away from here, in the mountains."

Simon whispered quietly, "when mom told us about the Cranks, I never thought they would make it here." Rosie started to shake nervously and Simon held her tighter. He then hummed Rosie's favorite song to calm her down and, eventually, they both fell asleep.

When the two siblings woke up, Simon carefully unlocked the door to look downstairs. He had heard a lot of terrible yelling and screeching during his sleep. He wanted to know what was going on and what had happened to his parents during the night.

"Rosie, stay here, I'll be right back," he whispered. Simon crept slowly down the stairs, wincing whenever they squeaked. The windows were broken and the door had been torn down. The furniture was lying in shreds, but everything was silent. He crept towards the kitchen to see if there was any food. He stopped and looked around the corner. There slumped against the wall, was his mother.

"Simon, is that you?" she said, turning towards him. "Help me Simon, there's something in my head, help me get it out! Simon! Simon!" she wailed. It was a horrible sound, similar to that an animal makes when it is dying. It sounded just like the Crank from before. Simon was slowly backing away when his mother screeched, "help me Simon! Help me!" She let out another scream and Simon turned and ran. He scampered back up the stairs, and into the storage room. He locked the door, sinking to the floor.

"What did you see?" asked Rosie.

Simon shook his head and choked back a sob, "it was mom. Mom has the flare, dad probably does too, though I didn't see him."

Rosie stared at him as if he had sprouted another head, "mom and dad? They have the flare? What are we going to do, Simon? What are we going to do?" She started to cry and Simon reached for her. He held her in his arms and whispered to her, trying to calm her down. He told her everything would work out, that everything would be fine.

Later that day they decided that they would go back down the stairs because they needed food. They also wanted to find their dad and see if he had caught the Flare too. When they got downstairs they caught a whiff of something rotten, like a rotting dead animal. It was coming from the bathroom. They covered their noses and tiptoed into the bathroom. Once they got there, the smell was unbearable. They gagged, but stood still, frozen with shock. Their father had been ripped apart and only his top half remained, decaying in the bathtub. Simon and Rosie stumbled out of the room, terrified and covered in sweat. Then the reality hit Simon. He knew who had done this, and he knew that person very well. His mother had killed his father.

Autor's Note: Hello! This is a new story that we have been working on for a while so I hope you guys like it! 

Sylminasha