Chapter 5, Simon/Newt:

Simon followed the man in the green suit outside. Rosie stepped out the door behind him and looked at the man nervously.

"I don't trust him, Simon," she said.

"I know Rosie, but it's our best chance," Simon answered. The man motioned for them to follow him; then ran off down the street. Simon and Rosie followed. They ran for what seemed like hours. As the sun set the screams grew closer and Simon shivered. Suddenly the man stopped and put a finger to his mouth for silence, Simon rolled his eyes, none of them had been talking anyway. He pulled the children through a doorway into a dark and destroyed house. They waited silently and Simon was sure his beating heart would give them away. Two Cranks ran past the door letting out screeches. The man stepped outside and signaled for Simon and Rosie to follow. Then they set off running again. Simon shivered, he was terrified. Terrified for himself but mostly scared for Rosie. They ran on and on and Simon was starting to feel exhausted. The sun had set behind the mountains and the sky was dark except for a slight glow coming from the West. They ran until it was completely dark and Simon could barely see. With the failing light Simon felt as if he could see evil shadows inside each house. The screams seemed to be coming from all around now. Then up ahead there was a berg. Simon was grateful that they were almost there. The man slowed to a jog, so the children did the same. The hatch of the berg started to lower and Simon knew they were finally safe. Suddenly, he heard a scream, but not the animal scream of a crank, it was Rosie. Simon turned and saw the shape of a crank holding Rosie down, tearing her face apart and biting wherever it could reach. The Crank raised it's head and Simon saw that it was his mother. Simon swung around quickly to tried and grab the man's gun, but he just pulled his arm back, so that the gun was out of Simon's reach. Simon started to jump to try and get hold of it when finally he just slapped the man in the face making him drop the weapon. By then, Rosie had stopped screaming. She was already dead and Simon knew it. He gripped the gun tighter and tried to figure out how to use it against the Crank. He noticed the trigger hidden underneath the machinery and aimed right for his mother's heart. His arms shook violently. When he pulled the trigger a big BANG sounded from the gun. He missed, hitting one of the neighboring house's windows with an ear shattering sound. Simon set up his aim once more and a second loud BANG sounded. He hit his target square in the heart. Simon looked up to see the Crank clambering away with a fast flowing spray of blood and then falling with a loud thump and a last screech as it crumpled to the ground. Simon screamed and ran to Rosie but it was too late. She had been bitten in many different places and it seemed as if his mother had ripped out one of her eyes. Rosie's left arm had been shredded and the right one was just plain gone. Her clothes were covered in scarlet blood and her leg looked like it had been broken and twisted the wrong way. She looked terrible. Simon leaned over to try and hear her breathing, but she was turning cold already. Simon slumped and started to yell, he yelled louder than he ever had before. Then all of a sudden he stopped. He now started crying without any sign that the tears would stop. He cried for what seemed like hours, with the man from WICKED waiting impatiently at his side. Simon couldn't believe it. His sister was dead, shredded to pieces. Only tiny chunks of her beautiful golden blond hair remaining. He was devastated. Simon knelt by Rosie's head and cradled it in his lap. He hugged her tighter than he ever had. With a shock he realized that he would never smell her sweet scent ever again. He would never sing to her. He would never watch any of those silly zombie movies with her. He was alone. He would never forget the horrors of that day. Simon had needed to murder his mother who had killed his father and now Rosie. He remained silent for another minute when suddenly, the man grabbed Simon and dragged him away.

"It's too late, come on we need to go now," he ordered. Simon let out a scream but let the man drag him away. Tears ran from his face as he looked at Rosie for the last time. They reached the berg just as Cranks came out from the dark streets and crept towards the unrecognizable bodies of Rosie and his mother. They climbed inside the berg and the hatch closed. The engine started and the berg took off, carrying Simon away, hopefully to safety, wherever that was.