Chapter 2, Simon/Newt:

Simon pushed Rosie out of the room and stood there shocked, "it was mom," he said. "When I saw her, she was crazy, she killed dad, Rosie, mom killed dad."

Rosie started to cry, she was terrified. Their life had been normal, as normal as it got these days. Then the Cranks had come, now their father was dead and their mother had gone mad. Simon silently led Rosie upstairs and gave her the key to the storage room.

"Stay here, if you hear screaming or anything, lock the door. I'm going to get food," he whispered. Simon crept downstairs, careful not to let the stairs squeak this time. He looked around the corner towards the kitchen. His mother wasn't there anymore and he wasn't sure if that was a good thing. Simon crept silently toward the kitchen and stepped through the doorway. He grabbed a kitchen knife from the counter in case he needed to fight. Simon looked toward the pantry and saw that the door was half open. He crept toward it and peeked inside. His mother crouched on the floor, ripping chunks of meat off of something. Simon stepped back and the floor squeaked. His mother turned and made a low screeching sound. He held up the knife to protect himself but his mother leaped right past him and ran out the door, screaming like an animal. Simon stepped into the pantry covering his mouth and nose, while he was careful not to look at the chunks of mysterious meat scattered on the floor. Simon grabbed whatever food he could carry and snatched the can opener before leaving the kitchen.

He made his way back up to the storage room and called through the door, "Rosie it's me, mom's gone." Simon heard her unlocking the door and saw her peek through before opening it fully. He stepped inside and handed her the knife, "Rosie, either one of us could be sick, if I start to go crazy you need to lock me out. Okay?"

Rosie nodded her head in signal that she understood. Rosie locked the door again behind him. He sat down and opened a can of beans, Simon hadn't noticed how hungry he was, but he still passed the first can to Rosie before opening one for himself. They ate in silence, wondering what they would do. They would run out of food in the house eventually and then what? Simon lied down resting his head against one of the boxes in the storage room, Rosie did the same and they fell into a troubled sleep.

When Simon woke up, he heard screaming outside. Everything had been silent until now and he wondered what was happening outside their small storage room. Downstairs he could hear things being smashed and thrown about.

Rosie woke up and whispered, "what's going on?"

Simon answered, "I'm not sure, but there is someone downstairs." They both fell silent as they heard something shuffle up the stairs. Whatever it was passed right in front of the storage room door. They heard it shuffle down the hall and enter one of the bedrooms.

"It was probably a Crank," said Rosie. Suddenly something banged against the door and made awful screeching noises.

The two children could hear it mumbling, "let me, in small ones, let me in. You smell so delicious, let me eat you." Simon and Rosie backed into the far corner and held each other until the noise stopped.

"I think it might be gone," said Simon. He grabbed a can of soup and the can opener before returning to sit by Rosie. Simon opened the can and the children passed it back and forth, each taking a sip of the cold soup.

Simon spoke quietly, "we don't have much food, what will we do once we run out?"

Rosie answered, "we'll go find more and bring it back here, don't worry we'll be fine." Simon wasn't so sure but he nodded his head anyway. They sat and waited for the night to come and for the faraway screams to start again.

It had been a few days since the Crank had tried to enter their small safe place and they had now run out of food.

"I'm going to get more food, Rosie, you should stay here," Simon said.

Rosie shook her head and said, "no, I'm coming with you." Simon agreed since he knew there would be no changing her mind. They unlocked the door and stepped outside the little room. They crept down the stairs to the kitchen. Simon checked the pantry but as he had expected, it was empty.

He spoke quietly and said, "we're going to have to leave the house to find food." Rosie nodded and followed Simon out of the kitchen and toward the front door. Simon pushed the broken door open and looked outside. The other houses in their neighborhood were not in much better shape than their own. There were several bodies in various states of decay lying around. Simon shivered and headed towards the house next to theirs. He pushed open the door and stepped inside. Simon was shivering, but not because of the temperature, it hadn't truly been cold since the sun flares. He headed towards the kitchen. Lying in the hall in front of the kitchen was a dead body. He stepped over it. The young boy walked into the kitchen and Rosie followed him. Simon looked around the kitchen and walked over to the cupboards, then the fridge and finally the freezer. He and Rosie searched the entire kitchen, but there was no food. They gave up searching, since it was getting dark and the Cranks would be coming out. They walked down the hallway to the door. Standing in the doorway was a man in a green protective suit.

"I work for WICKED; come with me if you want to be safe," said the strange man. Simon and Rosie looked at each other before following the man outside.