Chapter 11, Newt (WICKED):

When Newt woke up that morning, he was sweating in fear. He had dreamt about his sister, Rosie. She had turned into a Crank and she had completely forgotten who Newt was. Rosie had been chasing him in a burnt down city in the scorch. When Newt got out of bed, he shook himself and dragged his feet to the showers. As Newt got dressed, he heard his belly grumble. He was hungry, so that morning he finally went to breakfast and ate with Minho.

"So, finally eating huh?" asked Minho.

"Yes, I guess I was just a little bit hungry this morning," mumbled Newt. The warm porridge in Newt's mouth filled him with a new energy. He felt as if he could actually get through the day for once. As Newt finished up his bowl, the loudspeakers of the dining area sounded in his ears. The message announced was the day's schedule. First, Newt had to go to the gym area to practice his strength and speed. After the gym, he would head over to lunch, or in his case, his bunk. At one in the afternoon, Newt was to take a test with the other boys and he would have to try finishing yesterday's. At that, Newt sunk in his seat. He could not imagine facing that question again. Write and explain the worst thing that has happened in your life. Newt shuddered, as he and the other boys filed towards the gym entrance. The man waiting for them explained that they would be starting new tests to check their agility. The man motioned for Newt to follow him.

"Sit here please, you will be finishing the test from yesterday," ordered the man. Newt sat at the desk in the corner of the gym and picked up the pencil. He sighed and started answering the questions. He answered the questions quickly and without thinking about them. He finished the test in a few minutes and went to join the rest of the boys in the agility test. WICKED had set up a huge zip line and climbing walls. Newt stared up at the boys climbing above him and gulped. He was terrified of heights. Minho grinned at him from above.

"Come on up Frowny!" he shouted. Newt headed towards the nearest climbing wall and realised that none of them were wearing helmets or anything to keep them from falling.

"Up you go," said the man waiting at the bottom of the wall. Newt nodded and started climbing, his hands were sweaty and slipped several times. When he finally got to the platform at the top Minho was waiting for him.

"Isn't it amazing up here?" said Minho.

"What if we fall? There's nothing to stop us from just crashing into the floor and dying," responded Newt.

Minho laughed before saying, "come on! Let's go on the zip line." Newt gulped but followed Minho over. The zip line was a long metal cable with a hanging handle attached to it. Minho put his hands on the handle and jumped off the platform. He zipped over to the other side and turned to grin at Newt.

"Come on over Newt!" yelled Minho. Newt looked over at Minho then took a quick glance over the edge of the platform. He was so high up! Newt took a deep breath and gripped the handle on the zip line. He stepped shyly off of the platform and started to head towards Minho at full speed. Newt's hands were so sweaty from fear that his left hand slipped off the handle. He was only holding on with one hand now, and it was very close to slipping off. Just as Newt fell off the zip line, he got to the platform. Breathing heavily, Newt crawled away from the edge.

"That was amazing! Going down the zip line one-handed!" said Minho. "How did you do that?"

Newt whispered, "I didn't do it on purpose, I slipped." Minho was too busy announcing the news to the other boys that he did not hear Newt answer him. Newt, was still shaking in fear against the wall. His heart was pounding so quickly that it felt like it was going to leap right out of his chest any second now. A few minutes later, Newt stood up and walked over to Minho. He tapped his shoulder and Minho spun around to face Newt.

"We need to go down the wall now, but I'm not sure if I can," said Newt.

Minho laughed, "there's a tube we slide down to get down, it's steep but it isn't as bad as climbing down."

Newt nodded and followed Minho over to a clear tube made of hard plastic. Newt hadn't noticed it before, but he was relieved that he wouldn't have to climb down the wall. Minho leapt into the tube and whooped the whole way down. Newt sat in the entrance of the tube and pressed his knees to the edges of the tube. He slid down the tube slowly and came out at the bottom. Minho pulled him to his feet and the two boys walked towards the exit. As they headed towards the cafeteria Newt saw the girl from the closet standing in the shadows staring at him.

"Umm you go start eating without me, I need to check something," Newt mumbled. Minho looked confused but nodded and headed to the cafeteria.

Newt walked over to the girl and she took a breath before whispering, "did you get my message to George?" Newt nodded, he had slipped the note under George's pillow. He had also seen George looking saddened this morning.

"We are going into the maze soon though," Newt said.

Brenda nodded, she stared straight ahead as she asked, "will you help me see him? I need to see him before he leaves." A tear fell from her face and plopped on the ground. Newt was nervous, he could get in a lot of trouble. He pictured Rosie's face in his mind, What if it was me trying to see Rosie? I need to do what is right.

Newt stared at the ground for a moment before saying, "alright I'll help you see George, but I don't know when, there are so many cameras everywhere."

Brenda smiled and said, "leave that to me, all you need to do is get him to come meet me. I'll tell you the location once I figure it out."

Newt nodded and ran towards the cafeteria, when he reached it the other boys were all already there. The rest of the day was a blur of tests and Newt went to bed after hardly eating any supper. He soon fell into a dreamless sleep.