Chapter 9, Newt (WICKED):

Simon had been at WICKED for a week now and he wasn't quite used to his new name. The strange adults had also given him a number. He was Subject A5, he shared a room with nine other boys, it was a long narrow room with 5 bunk beds. Newt slept on the bottom bunk while Minho had claimed the top bunk. Newt didn't really care, he spent his time apart from the others. Right now he sat on his bunk thinking about Rosie. He had no family and no friends, other than Minho, who was always hanging around and teasing him. Minho walked into the room and plunked himself on the bed next to Newt.

"Hey Newt, you missed lunch again! You're going to starve to death!" said Minho, jokingly. He's right, thought Newt, I'm not eating enough. I probably will starve to death. Newt didn't really care though, it would be worth it if it meant he could get rid of his guilt.

"Well come on Frowny, they sent me to get you. We're starting some new test things," said Minho standing up and dragging Newt out the door with him. Minho walked down a gray hallway like all the others, towing Newt behind him. They reached the double doors to the large gym where they spent time doing tests. Newt sighed, he couldn't care less about their tests and didn't really want to do them.

Minho pushed open the doors and shouted, "Alright I got Frowny! We can start these tests now!" A few of the other boys laughed and Newt followed Minho to stand in front of two women explaining the test.

"This is not a fitness test, there will be no running or jumping. You will each be given a different test with questions. Answer these questions and the test is finished," said one of the women. The two ladies turned and the boys followed them over to several rows of desks.

"Take a seat please," said the second woman. Newt sat down and stared at the single sheet of paper on his desk and a pencil.

"Begin," said the woman. Newt picked up his pencil and studied the first question, it was a math problem and he finished it quickly. He read the second question; Write and explain the worst thing that has happened to you in your life. Newt squeezed his pencil so hard that it snapped in two. He stood, his chair clattered to the floor and ran for the exit. Tears fell from his eyes as he pushed through the double doors.

He heard Minho shout as he left, "Newt wait! What's wrong?" Newt kept running, turning through hallways until he found a small closet full of medical supplies. He sat on the floor in the closet and cried.

The door creaked open and Newt froze, he looked up to see a girl a bit older than himself staring down at him. He was surprised to see someone so young that wasn't part of the trials.

Her face held no emotion as she asked, "what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be completing tests?"

Newt responded nervously, "umm.. I, uh, I'm sorry should I leave?" The girl looked both ways down the hallway before stepping into the closet and closing the door.

She sat down next to him and said, "my name is Brenda, you're one of the subjects from group A, aren't you?"

Newt responded nervously, "umm yes, I'm Newt and I'm in Group A."

Brenda gasped, a smile spreading across her lips, "thank god! In your group is there a boy named George? He is my brother and I need to know if he's alright!"

Newt tried to remember the boys in his group. "Yes George is in my Group. I don't know him well though."

Brenda's face broke into a grin as she slipped a piece of paper into his hand, "give this to George, but don't tell him you saw me please. I could get in trouble!" She looked at him worriedly. Newt nodded his head before standing and leaving the small closet. He ran back to the dormitory and went to George's bed. He put the note under his pillow before heading to his own bed. He lay on his bed until the rest of the boys returned. Minho sat next to him.

"Hey, do you want to talk about what happened back there? During the test?" he asked. Newt shook his head, he didn't want to share anything with anyone.

"Alright," said Minho, before clambering up to the top bunk. Newt's stomach grumbled, he hadn't eaten in two days. He rolled onto his side and ignored his stomach. His belly growled with hunger again. Minho's head popped down over the side of the bed.

"Hey Frowny! Is there a storm in your belly? Because I can hear it from up here!" he said teasingly. Newt smiled a bit.

"No I'm just a bit hungry that's all," he answered.

"Hey everyone! Frowny smiled!" Shouted Minho to the rest of the boys, some of them started laughing. Newt didn't mind, these boys would probably be his friends if he wasn't so depressed. Minho leapt down from the top bunk and grabbed Newt's hand, pulling him to his feet.

"Come on, if you're hungry we might as well get you some food," said Minho. Newt was about to protest but Minho glared at him. "Not a word, I didn't stop WICKED from killing you just so you could starve to death!" he said seriously. Newt followed Minho out of the room and to the cafeteria area where they all ate. It was past lunch time but Minho managed to get him some leftovers.

"Now eat," said Minho, seating him at a table and putting a plate in front of him. Newt ate quickly, he hadn't realized how hungry he was. Minho put another plate of food in front of him.

"That's enough bloody food," mumbled Newt with his mouth full. Minho made him eat half of the second plate of food before they headed back towards the dormitory. Minho was teasing Newt and both boys were laughing when they heard people whispering. Minho put a finger to his lips.

"Shh, quiet," he whispered. Newt followed Minho to the end of the hallway. Minho peeked his head around the corner before whispering, "there are two important looking people! I want to hear what they say." Newt nodded and they both listened.

"But it's such a waste, most of them will probably die," said a male voice.

A clearer more feminine voice answered, "Yes, but as long as one of them survives we will have our cure."

"But if the subjects die it will be a waste of immunes," said the male voice.

"As long as we find a cure and save the rest of the world it doesn't matter. These are hard times and we must do what we can to survive," responded the other voice.

"But putting them in the Scorch? They could all die! Then would we have our cure?" argued the first person.

"You fool! If they all die then we get a new batch of immunes and start over! All that matters is finding a cure!" the woman answered.

The man paused, "alright, I just don't fully agree with slaughtering children." Newt heard footsteps receding down the hallway.

"They're going to put us in the Scorch? Did you know about this already?" asked Newt. Minho shook his head, a look of horror on his face.

"No! That place is full of Cranks, why would they send us there?" asked Minho.

"I don't know Minho, I don't know." answered Newt shaking his head. They returned to the dormitories together. Newt lay down on his bunk, he dreamt of running through the Scorch, beaten up Cranks were chasing after him.

Author's Note: Sorry if that chapter was a bit boring! We're running out of interesting stuff to happen to Newt. So because of that the next chapter is Brenda instead of Newt. Just so no one gets confused on the timeline, at the point where Newt meets Brenda, Brenda has been at WICKED for nearly two years! Hope you enjoy the rest of the story!

-Sylminasha