Chapter 8, Brenda (WICKED):

Brenda woke up lying on a hard bed. Her head was pounding and her throat was dry as a desert. She looked around the room she was in. It looked like a hospital room. There was the bed she was lying on, a small table beside her as well as a cart with medical objects in the corner of the room. Brenda was confused for a moment before she remembered. Her father was dead, she had been shot with a dart, then what? George, where was George? She thought worriedly. To her right she could hear two people quietly talking.

"We got her test results back and she's immune," said the first, male, voice.

"Very good, very good," replied the second voice, female this time.

"However with the other tests she doesn't quite fit the criteria." The man said. Brenda heard a rustling of paper and a sigh from the woman.

"Oh. Oh yes I see," said the woman, slightly disappointed.

"Shall we dispose of her?" asked the man.

The woman paused before responding, "no there aren't many immunes and we shouldn't waste one. Let's keep her and I'm sure we can find something for her to do."

Brenda turned her head to try and see the people but she saw a glass of water first. All thoughts of the man and woman forgotten, Brenda gulped down the water, her throat feeling much better afterwards. She put the empty glass back on the table. At her sounds the man turned and walked over to her and the woman silently left. The man wore a medical coat over a gray military outfit with the word WICKED printed on the front. All Brenda saw of the woman before she turned the corner, was white clothing flowing around her and her dirty blond hair tied in a tight bun on her neck.

"You're awake, good, very good," said the man.

Brenda asked him worriedly, "where is George? My brother, did he come here with me?"

"Don't worry," responded the man. "Just relax. You are safe and your brother is safe as well. My name is Lucas, while you were unconscious I tested your blood. You are immune as is your brother. Sadly you are of no use to us for the Trials, but since there are so few immunes, you will remain here and work for WICKED. I am sure we can find some work for you."

"But what about George? What will happen to him?" asked Brenda.

"Your brother, George, will be used for the Trials. Therefore you are no longer allowed to see him. We have to make sure that you can't interfere in the variables," responded the man calmly. Brenda stared at him in shock. She wouldn't be allowed to see George again? Her mother was dead. Her father had been killed by the people who told her she was safe. And now these murderers told her that she could no longer see her brother, that he would be used for their "Trials". Brenda felt tears coming to her eyes but she held them back. After years of running she had trained herself to hide her emotions.

"Alright," she responded slowly. "So, I can't see my brother again? And I have to work for the people who murdered my father and kidnapped me and my brother?" she asked.

"That is correct," responded the man. "Though I wouldn't call it kidnapping. After all, we did rescue both of you from the Cranks attacking your home."

"I would rather be killed by a Crank then work for the murderers of my father," mumbled Brenda, too quietly for the man to hear.

The man continued, "come with me, I will explain what kind of work you will do, and the rules that come with being allowed to remain here." Brenda sat up and slid off the bed landing on her feet. Her head started to pound but she pushed the feeling away. Brenda knew that she needed to be strong, or WICKED would no longer find her useful. She turned and followed Lucas who had already started leaving the room, ignoring her headache screaming at her to lie down.

"I'm sorry that you won't be able to see your brother again Brenda. But don't worry he is helping us find a cure, he will help save humanity," Lucas said without turning to her. Brenda fumed inside but didn't say a word. What did she care about helping WICKED save humanity? I just want my brother back. And now these murderers expect me to work for them? Thought Brenda. No, I will find George again and escape with him. Brenda knew that she would do whatever it took to get George back. Even if it meant pretending to be happy working for WICKED. The man stopped in front of a door, opened it and walked in. Brenda followed him inside. The room looked like an office, there was a desk and a few chairs. She seated herself in one of the chairs, glad to finally be able to sit down. A few minutes later a woman entered the room.

"Hello Brenda, my name is Sarah. I'll explain the rules of staying here to you, and then Lucas will explain your job," said Sarah. "While you are staying with us you will not have any contact with the subjects of Group B or Group A. Not even your brother George. You will not enter any of the rooms that have cameras watching the Maze. You will be expected to follow orders. Remember Brenda, we don't need you here. Behave and you can stay, misbehave and you will quickly be... Disposed of."

Brenda was confused, Group B? Group A? A maze? What was this woman talking about? Brenda decided to act as if she understood perfectly. "Alright, and what kind of work will I be doing?" she asked, not actually caring what she was supposed to do. Brenda's only goal right now was to find George.

"You will be working as a medical assistant helping the doctors," said Sarah. "It is not a very important job but if you work hard and obey the rules, then you may remain here. Otherwise, we can easily dispose of you if we find you no longer useful to our cause." Brenda shivered, these people could control whether she lived or died. She nodded her head to show that she understood.

"You must be tired after your ordeals yesterday, come with me and I'll show you where you can rest," said Lucas. Brenda stood and followed him out of the room. They walked down several hallways and two flights of stairs. By then Brenda was thoroughly lost, she had no idea where she was.

"Here we are," said Lucas motioning her through a door. "This will be your room while you are here." Brenda entered the room and Lucas closed the door behind her. She looked around the room. The walls, floor and ceiling were gray concrete. As for furniture there was a small bed in one corner and a set of shelves on the wall across from the entrance. There was a door on the last wall which Brenda assumed led to a bathroom. She walked slowly over to the shelves. There were two changes of clothes, both in a dark gray color. The word WICKED was printed on the front of both shirts. Brenda headed to the bathroom and looked into the mirror. Her clothing was torn, bloody and covered in dirt. Brenda took a shower to clean up and then slipped on some of the WICKED clothes. Her own clothes were too destroyed to wear anymore. She paced around her room thinking of where George could be. Brenda did her best to dream up escape plans that involved getting George out. But since she knew so little about this place, there was no way of escaping without getting caught. Brenda sat down on the bed and put her head in her hands. It's hopeless, she thought. I'll never be able to escape with George, I'd be lost in five minutes. Fine then, I'll wait, I'll learn everything I can about this place and how to find my way around. Then I will find George and we will escape together. Brenda curled up on her bed, and slept. She dreamt of a place with no Flare, no Cranks and no WICKED, somewhere she could be safe, forever.