Interim

Jacob POV

She stared at the ring for a long time. Well, to me it was a long time, but really it was only like two seconds. The only thing that was moving of hers were her tears, rolling down her cheeks. I stayed where I was, on one knee waiting for an answer. Maybe she didn't want to marry me. Maybe I was too frightening, or I was too different. Maybe she just wasn't ready. But I sure was, and even if she did say no, of course I would be sad, but I wouldn't go kill myself or anything. I'd probably just get mad and run off into the trees.

She finally moved, and wiped off her tears. She took a deep breath. Her lips moved, which took me a minute to realize she was smiling. I didn't smile back, for I didn't know if it was a good smile. She closed her eyes tight and covered her mouth, tears spewing out of her. Come on, say something! I was getting almost too impatient. "Ye...ye... Yes!" she screamed under the sobs. She threw her arms around me and I picked her up. I couldn't believe what I was seeing... If only it really happened.

I shook my head back to reality. That was what I wanted to happen. I was daydreaming all while Ness was trying to solve my little scavenger hunt I put together for her. I sighed and closed my eyes. It's okay Jake. It's okay, I thought to myself. Finally, she came out of the trees in a floral blouse and jeans. Her hair was up, but she looked like she was tired. Great, I wore her out with my stupid idea. I knew it.

She saw me and was in front of me in a second. She looked around at the flowers, then back at me. She hugged me a little too hard, but I let her. "I was worried about you!" she said. I couldn't help but laugh. Like I need to be someone to be worried about. She's just like Bella.

"There's something I want to do, Ness," I said. She made a confused face, and I clenched the flowers I was holding. They were getting on my nerves, so I set them down. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I reached in my pocket to pull out the box with the ring in it. It had been my mothers, before she died she had lent it to Billy. I knew he would want me to use it. I swallowed my spit and put one knee down on the sand. Her eyes widened. "Renesmee Carlie Cullen, will you marry me?"

The question lingered. She stood staring at me, instead of the ring like in my daydream. That wasn't a good sign. "I—I don't believe this." Another bad sign. She opened her mouth like she was going to say something else, but then closed it back. That's it Jacob. She's gonna say no. It wouldn't take this long if she really wanted to marry me. She hates me. Why are you so stupid Jacob? Why? Why was I cursed with bad luck? Specifically with girls? It wasn't fair. Nothing was ever fair. I almost got up and threw the ring into the ocean and left, but I knew that's not what she would want. Just hurry up and say no so I can die in my depression. The only good sign was that she started to smile. I waited in the interim.

It was silent, until she jumped on me and I fell on the ground. She kissed me like no other, like she had never kissed me before. I put my arms around her waist as she had her hands on my cheeks. I pushed her back an inch to talk. "So is that a yes?" She laughed and kissed me more. I couldn't believe I was marrying the most perfect girl in the world.

"A million times yes!" she screamed. If we weren't alone, I was sure everyone could have heard us. I slid the ring on her finger and threw the box aside. I was happy, and most importantly, she was happy. And that was what made me happy. She pulled back, and I pushed my eye brows together, asking her what was wrong through my expression. "What about my parents?" she asked. I smiled. I had already asked them, a long time ago. Not that I really had to, since Edward was always reading my thoughts. They had said it was okay, though they had a long speech about it. I had told them before we left that I would be doing it here. I was surprised when they didn't hesitate to say no.