Trace

Renesmee POV

I couldn't sleep. I decided to go talk to my parents in the living room, even though I was mad at them. I wanted to surprise Jacob at 12 am to wish him a happy birthday, but I was grounded, and they didn't want me out that late. Sometimes they can be a little too overprotective. I went into the living room and saw them sitting on the couch, reading. I always felt like it would get kinda boring being a vampire, because you never slept and you had to be doing something. They looked at me before I even fully got into the room.

"Renesmee? It's 2 am, sweetie, what are you doing up?" mom asked. "I couldn't sleep," I explained. She scooted over so there was a spot for me on the couch. I crept in and laid my head on her shoulder as she put her arm around me. "Why do you think that is?" I didn't know the answer to that question. It seemed like I was worried about something. Maybe it was the nightmare I had the night before. "What nightmare?" dad asked. Reading my thoughts again. I wish he would not do that. There's a reason why I'm not saying it aloud.

"Show me," they both said at once. I put my hand on mom first, and thought of the memory, feeling it transfer firmly through my hand onto mom's cheek. I did the same to dad. They looked at each other then back at me. "Don't worry," my mom said. "We never put it together either. But I doubt they will be stronger than you, and I seriously doubt you'll have ten of them. But me and your dad will do some research for you, if that will make you feel better." I nodded and snuggled back into mom's arms. I was still scared, and I rarely get scared. It was just part of who I was.

I ended up falling asleep after all, lying on mom. For some reason, even though I could feel how cold she was, it was easier for me to fall asleep with her. It was like falling asleep on the cold part of a pillow, except it never got warm again.

The next day, I went hunting with my parents early in the morning. They said that after I could go see Jacob, but they were going to drop me off. I didn't tell them about the date on the tribe symbol, and I didn't think about it either. I wasn't as suspicious as Jake was. I was still curious in some ways, but I also thought that whatever was in that safe was just a letter or something. So I didn't worry too much about it.

Even though I always win against Jacob, my parents always won against me with the hunting. I always use the excuse of "you're a full vampire, I'm not!" but they just think they have more experience. After we were done they dropped me off at Jake's house. Jake opened the door as soon as we got there. "Jake!" I said running towards him giving him a big hug. He hugged me back, but I heard a crack. "Ow, Nessie, you're hurting me." I immediately took a step back. "Oops." He laughed. "Don't worry, I heal fast remember?" he reminded me. I smiled. "Happy birthday! Sorry I didn't wait to give your gift today..." But he shook his head. "It's fine. I really don't need any gifts, honestly." Then I shuttered when dad came up the steps. I had totally forgotten they were here.

"Well too bad, then," he said pulling out a box. "This is from me and Bella. Mostly from her, though." Jake rolled his eyes but smiled and took the box. "Thanks. Thanks for bringing Ness here, too. Finally not locked up all the time." I elbowed him. Mom rolled her eyes. "A simple "thank you" would have been fine," she said. "Thank you," Jake remarked. Dad went back to mom, putting his arm around her. "Get her back by 6," dad said. Mom smiled and looked at Jacob. "Happy birthday Jake. Another year older than me. I guess I'll let you win, finally." I was confused. Probably something they talked about before I was born, when she was still human. Jake laughed, and my parents disappeared.

"So, what do you wanna do?" he asked. It was his birthday, I should be asking that question. "What do you want to do?" He sighed. "Lounge around and eat pizza?" I chuckled. "Sounds good to me." We went inside and turned on the tv. There wasn't really anything on, but we weren't really paying attention to the tv anyways. He opened his gift and I looked inside the box, even though I already knew what it was. There was a wooden sculpture of a wolf. It glistened in the sun, it really looked like a real wolf, just a tiny version of it. I could tell that my mom picked it out. "Wow, tell your parents I said thanks." I nodded. After we finished eating, we basically just hung out talking the rest of the day. Neither of us wanted to go out. There was something I wanted to ask him. "What were you and my mom talking about?" I hoped I didn't sound mad or jealous, I was honestly just curious.

"Oh, well when Bella used to come over to my garage to fix her bike, we played a little game to see who was really older. She obviously was older if we were talking about age, but I looked way older than I was. But she was very mature, too. So we would see who was older based on what we did." That sounded like fun. I wish I could have been there. In fact, I would really like to see my mom when she was human. She seemed so different. It was, though, really weird that Jake had kissed my mom. Twice. I mean, that's not everyday that your boyfriend just kissed your mom before you were born. Boyfriend. Was he my boyfriend? Or were we just, like, really really good friends?

"Oh, it sounds like you had a lot of fun with her." He looked at me and smiled. "Not nearly as much as I do with you." Maybe we were a couple. I mean, we did what couples do. The only difference is that we don't go up to people and say we're boyfriend and girlfriend. What we really are is imprinter and imprintee. But humans didn't know what that was. I decided just to ask him.

"So are we like, you know, boyfriend and girlfriend? He laughed. Great, I just made a fool of myself. "I guess we are." I gasped in relief. "Well, then that means you have to—" I stopped. I looked closely at the bookshelf across the room. There was something on a book that said Jacob's name on it. 307213. Could that be part of the clue? Jake had called me last night to tell me he had tried the combination for the safe, but it didn't work because it needed more numbers. Could that be it?

I didn't realize I had been staring with Jacob looking at me like I was crazy. "What? What are you looking at?" I got up and moved towards the book, not leaving my eyes off of it. I pulled out the book. It was Jake's baby book. "Okay, Nessie, we are not looking at my baby pictures for you to embarrass me. Just come sit back—"

"No, look!" I said as I blocked his view with the book. He looked at it for a long time, and I could see he knew what I was talking about. He saw something that I didn't. I knew that whatever Billy wanted him to see, it was meant for him only. "I know what it is. It's a zip code. It was where his father raised him. He left a trace for me." I looked at him surprised. "Come on, let's go," he said. But I just stood there. It was meant for Jake to see, not me. "You go. This is for you to see, not me."

I could tell he didn't want to leave me, but I persuaded him to finally take me home and go find out what Billy had left him. He drove me home instead of running because he was going to leave straight from there. Once we got there, he hugged me and I hugged him back. I kissed him, and told him to go before he changes his mind. "Are you sure Ness? I could go tomorrow if you want me to..." But I didn't want to cause him any more trouble than I already have. "No Jake, go. You can tell me all about it when you get back." As much as I hated being away from him, I let him drive away to find whatever trace his father had left for him.