Discern

Jacob POV

"What's wrong Renesmee? Did you have a nightmare?" Her breathing got a little bit slower now, but not much. She closed her eyes. "It's fine, I'm fine now. Don't worry about it. Go back to sleep, Jake." I shook my head. "I'm not going to sleep until you tell me what you saw." I could tell she didn't want to. "At least show me," I said. She sighed and reached her hand to my face. A bunch of images filled my head as I saw myself, getting attacked by wolves. Our wolves.

I had always wanted children, but I didn't put together the circumstances of having human, vampire, and werewolf all in one. Of course they wouldn't be able to change until they were older if they were werewolves, but the thought still scared me. Could it even be possible? She took her hand away from my face and eyed me. The tears were still running down her face, so I brushed them off. "Jacob, what if the dream was real? What if our kids, if we ever do have kids, are stronger than us?"

I doubted it. But I did wonder what they would be like, what they would look like. We knew there was someone like Renesmee, but there is a 1% chance there is someone like that. "That won't happen. I won't let it." She had told me at dinner a few nights ago that Naheul told her she could have kids. I was overjoyed by that statement. I always wanted to have kids. A little mini-me. But I kept thinking of the thought that she was really, only, seven years old. As much as she looked 20, she has only be living for seven years. Would Bella and Edward agree to that? I don't know.

"I trust you," she said. We snuggled back up and went back to sleep. What felt like a second later I opened my eyes to see the sun shining from the window. Renesmee was already awake, but she was playing with her bracelet I had got her. She looked up at me and smiled. "Good morning, sleepyhead." I smiled back and got up. I pulled her up as we went to the kitchen to eat breakfast. I didn't eat, I told Nessie that I really needed to get home. She agreed and I said bye to her parents and kissed Ness goodbye.

Before I went home, I went by my fathers grave on the beach. I sat by it for quite sometime. Seth came over after a while. "I know what it's like, Jake. When my father died, I had thought I didn't do enough for him on time, that I wasn't a good enough son. But that's just you doubting yourself. Really, he's proud of you. Very proud." I smiled a half smile. That made me feel better. As much as Seth gets on my nerves, he does say things that really mean something. "Thank you, Seth. I really appreciate it."

"Nah don't worry about it. See you later." He skipped off to the shore. I put my hand in the sand above his grave, and pulled out the ring I had put there at the funeral. I wanted to keep it somewhere else. I put the sand where it was and ran back to my house, where I now lived by myself most of the time. Rachel and Rebecca only came at Christmas time. Though Rachel did make it to the funeral, but I didn't talk to her much. Rebecca couldn't make it in time.

I laid down twirling his ring. I looked at it, it's black and silver markings and the werewolf tribe symbol and—wait. I looked at the symbol closer. Is that a date? In the top right corner? I recognized it. It was my birth date. What did my birth date have anything to do with the tribe or the symbol? Maybe it was just his ring. I stood up and looked in the mirror at my tattoo. 1~14~90. Why did it say that? I went out the door and ran to the beach.

Seth saw me first. "Hey man! Back alre— hey! What are you doing?" I took his arm and pulled up his sleeve. His said the same. I didn't understand. Was it just a coincidence? I decided to ask Sam. I started to run to Sam, who was holding hands with Emily walking on the shoreline, but something pulled me back. "What are you doing Jake?" Seth asked. "Just wait," I said impatiently. I got there and Sam looked concerned. I guess he could tell by my face that something was up. "What's wrong Jacob?"

I asked to see his tattoo, because Sam was different than Seth. He was more of a leader than a follower. It said the date too. "Do you know why the tribe symbol has a tiny date on the top right corner? Specifically my birthday?" He clenched his eye brows together and looked at my arm. His face was an inch away from it, seeking every detail. But his hand never left Emily's. Must be nice, never having any problems. "I'll contact Joshua straight away." And he was gone.

Joshua was Sam's father. He knew everything about everything. He was the second person anyone would talk to if they had a question about werewolves. Next to my dad. I wish he were still alive, so I could ask him. There was no way he had never realized my birthday was there. He must have been keeping it a secret. But why? I thought he had told be everything. I guess I was wrong.

I walked to the Cullen's cottage to see how Ness was doing, since she had that horrible nightmare. I went in and saw her laying down on the couch, her hair up in a messy bun and a tank top with sweats on. I always liked when she looked like that. Of course I still liked her all dressed up and cute, but she looked even more perfect when she wasn't trying. She looked at me and smiled. "Hey Jake. Got something on your mind?" she asked. I sat down next to her to see peanut butter ice cream in her lap that I couldn't see before. "Yea I guess I do."

"What is it?" I looked at the ice cream and then back at her. "I'll tell you only if you let me have a bite." She chuckled and took a big chunk with her spoon and held it out for me. I opened my mouth and scooped it out of the spoon. Ice cream really does make you feel loads better. She looked at me like she was getting impatient. I told her about the date and the symbol. She thought for a moment. I wish I could be like Edward and read her mind so I could know her thought process. She then looked back at me. "I think it means something to do with you. I mean, why else would that date be on there? But I was also thinking it could be a combination." A combination? I remembered talking to Sam sorting things out with him one day. I remembered them taking my father's possessions and locking them away. Embry was carrying a safe... "A combination?" I asked just to be sure. She looked at me like I was dumb. "You know, the ones you put on locks to—" I rolled my eyes. "I know that, Ness, I'm not stupid. I was just clarifying. When the packs were taking my fathers stuff and locking it away, they took a safe. Do you think that might be what it is for? Maybe he only wanted me to open it?"

"But Jacob, everyone knows your birthday. There's no way that could be the only clue, or someone would have already opened it by now." She was right. She really was the smartest girl on the planet. She sighed. "We'll figure it out later, Jake. Wait until we know what Sam's dad says, and then we will make our accusations." I leaned my head back. I was thinking too much. I needed to calm down, too much has happened this week. "Speaking of your birthday," she said, "it's tomorrow! Aren't you excited?" I laughed. "It's not like I'm getting any older!" She laughed too. She pressed her lips against mine and touched her hand softly on my face. The feeling I loved went across my body.

She leaned her lips away, but I went in for another one. She tried to smile, but I didn't let her. I hope this never changes. She leaned back and held the ice cream to my face. "More?" she asked. I smiled and scooped it out of the bucket with my hand. She looked at me with disgust. "Ew Jacob! Now your dirty hands are all over my ice cream!" We both laughed as we spent the rest of the day together.