CHAPTER 12 - Part 1

Above pic is Red

Mind Over Matter

*MASON*

I woke up with a sigh and smiled as I felt a warm body pressed against mine. I looked over to the window and saw it was dark outside. I brushed the dark hair away from Amber's face and gingerly kissed her neck. She gasped in her sleep and I chuckled softly and kissed her again, nipping her skin as I did so.

"Mason... stop." She groaned, but there was laughter in her voice as she peeled open her eyes. I looked into her golden-green eyes and smirked.

"Why?" I asked and kissed her again. She huffed and squirmed beside me.

"I—I..." she began but didn't finish as I slid my kisses to her collarbone and was rewarded with her lovely moans.

"Yes?" I asked and she just growled and pulled my head up to hers. She gave me a small smile before smashing her lips against mine and I growled and interlocked my hands with hers as I rolled on top of her then pressed her arms to the mattress and held her down beneath me. Her eyes looked up at me as I pulled away and soon I swooped down and we were kissing once again; unable to resist her sweet lips.

I jumped as I heard a knock at the door.

"Are y'all done in there yet? We've got the food ready." I heard my father's smug voice and I rolled my eyes and Amber blushed. I chuckled and kissed her lips softly. Amber moaned and flung her arm around my neck and the kiss deepened.

"Amber we've got to eat." I groaned as I pulled my lips from hers.

She huffed and pecked my lips before breathing, "Later then." Her lips brushed my cheek before affectionately nipping my ear and I groaned as I rolled away from her. She chuckled as I stood and slipped my clothes on and she did the same. I tried not to smirk as she bent to get her shirt and I looked away as I sat on the edge of the bed.

"So about Red?" Amber questioned as she sat beside me.

"What she did was barbaric, but she had a means to it." I said and Amber scoffed.

"She burnt people alive." My mate pointed out with a grimace.

"Yeah, but think of the planning that had to have gone into that." I said with a thoughtful frown.

"What planning?" Amber asked.

"I mean, to go against an Alpha both male and female, it takes some nerve. She seems to have done it without a bat of an eye. It would have had to take calculation, getting everyone out, dowsing the floors and walls, going through the entire house, all without alerting the alpha couple of the danger. She had to have been precise with it, somehow avoiding being caught, masking the scents and noises as they slept. Then she just lit the place on fire and that was it." I said my frown deepening.

"Great now I don't like her even more." Amber grumbled.

"Why don't you like her?" I asked and Amber huffed.

"She has this pissy look on her face all the time and hell she's probably a psychopath. Who does that?" She scowled and I shrugged.

"I think it's justified. Her family was killed while the alphas stayed back. They should've stood with their pack. What she did took courage and--"

"Do you have a crush on her?" Amber asked and I looked over at her in shock.

"Why would you think that?" I asked in bewilderment.