CHAPTER 3

Memories

*MASON*

I looked around the bathroom. I couldn't calm down. My heart raced, my blood was rushing through my veins. I was sweating so much the boxers I wore clung to my body like another layer of skin. I looked up and saw my reflection in the mirror and suddenly I wasn't there anymore.

I was in a different bathroom staring at my young self in a different mirror. I looked down at my small hands and dusted off my khaki shorts and my favorite gray shirt. I zipped up my shorts and made sure they were buttoned before I opened the door and left the bathroom.

No, I thought blinking out of the flashback. I was screaming. I didn't want to see it. I didn't want to be sucked back into my memories. I couldn't fight it though and in a snap I was pulled back.

I walked into the front room and sat on the large soft arm chair. My parents were in some other part of the house—probably the kitchen. I wanted to watch TV and was reaching for the remote when a scraping noise caught my attention. I sat up and looked around. A shadow passed by the window and I jumped and watched it.

It was a good town back then you really didn't need to lock your doors, no one would come in uninvited—until that day. I stood up in fear as I heard the door being messed with and it opening. A shadow creeped across the floor.

My little heart skipped a beat as a tall, muscular man with blackish brown hair walked in. He kind of looked like my dad but his eyes were different. They were golden—like mine. He smiled at me and said in a hushed voice, "Hello Myson."

I looked at the stranger in confusion and said, "I'm Mason not Myson."

The man chuckled softly and said, "You don't understand Mason, you're my son."

"No I'm not, my daddy's in the other room. You shouldn't be here." I said to the man. Annoyance flashed on the man's face and he growled, "He is not your father."

"Yes he is." I said stomping my foot. The man frowned.

"No Mason he isn't." the stranger growled getting frustrated.

"Uh-huh." I retorted crossing my arms. I wasn't scared of the man.

"No son he isn't." the man spat back. I looked up at the crazy man and then I saw the knife in his hand. A long sharp blade with a rigid end. I backed away and the man noticed I saw the blade and tucked it behind him. He held out his hand and started softly, "Now Mason..."

"Mommy! Daddy!" I screamed. The man swept me up in strong rough arms and I squirmed trying to break free.

I heard my parents rushing into the room and in seconds they were there. They stared at the man and Mom gasped loudly, "Matthew... how did you—get out."

The man still held me as he growled, "Kathryn you of all people should know that I won't be leaving without my son."

Dad stepped up and spat, "Matt let him go."

"No! You took him from me! He's my son and what do you do? You wait until I shift then you bed Kathryn after she has my son! Then you leave... you stole my mate—fine keep her whore ass—but my son? How dare you even think of taking him!" the man shouted with a snarl in his words.

"He's my son too!" Mom yelled at the man—Matthew.

Matt chuckled and said to Dad, "Did you forget the code brother? Gold stays together... Well look at him, the wolf is in him as it is in me. His eyes glow gold; like father like son."