CHAPTER 5

The Magic Word

*MASON*

I was sitting on the couch when suddenly the front door started wiggling. I instantly sprang up and focused on it. After a bit it opened and my growling stopped as a girl walked in.

"Lisa." I huffed in annoyed acknowledgment and sat back down on the couch. She jumped and let out a small squeak as she looked over at me in shock. I chuckled at her fading terror.

"Oh... hey Mason. You scared the hell outta me." Lisa said sighing. She ran her fingers through her hair and let out a small chuckle. She took a seat in the arm chair next to the couch and turned to me with a small smirk. Something about her look got me suspicious immediately.

"So Mason... do you like Amber?" she asked and her smirk widened. I felt my ears starting to burn and I shrugged. Lisa looked disappointed but she smiled still.

"I'm not sure... what I feel is complicated. I've never felt it before but it's a weird feeling..." I paused wondering if I should finish but then decided to do so, it wasn't going to kill anyone to be truthful right?

"When she's away it hurts and when she's close it still hurts." I said.

"What hurts?" Lisa said looking confused and I bit back a growl at the fact she'd interrupted me.

"All of me." I hissed and finished, "It's a burning, sparking feeling... it could just be my wolf senses or something but it's nagging and annoying." I stated with a shrug and sat back in the couch. It honestly felt good to tell someone. Even if that someone is the girl you're talking about's best friend who could tell her. The thought made me narrow my eyes at Lisa.

"That's adorable. I so ship you guys! She needs it, her parents are never around. She's a wreck but you seem to make her feel better. Just don't break her heart or I'll skin you alive." She said with a smile that kind of unnerved me.

I nodded in understanding, "Of course." What did I get myself into?

"So... were you ever part of a pack?" Lisa asked.

"Yes, some time ago. I left though, they didn't understand my ways. I was too strange for them." I said.

"How so?"

"For one: I could understand humans and I knew what stuff was." I shrugged. Lisa nodded slowly then suddenly threw up her hands.

"Ooh Mason can you turn people? Like into wolves too?" she asked wonderingly. I tensed.

"I don't know... I've never tried." I said and my voice caught with every word. Lisa gave me a weird look and I held her gaze until she finally shrugged.

"Well if you ever do, change me too... it looks awesome." Lisa said and before I could comment on how stupid that sounded she laughed. I waited until she was done having her laughing fit to speak.

"That's a horrible idea. It's so different as a wolf and I don't know if you could handle it or if your body could even put up with it. Plus, you forget things as a wolf. Your parents may seem like just another human. You could easily hurt someone you love... or worse." I growled seriously. My thoughts drifted to my father and I blocked them out.

"Oh, don't you know how to kill the mood." Lisa said starting to sulk. I chuckled softly at her pouting form.

"Don't pout about it. I'm just warning you... it wouldn't hurt though—to have another wolf around." I said and Lisa brightened.

"Cool! Mason you're the best. But I don't think it would be best at the moment." I nodded in understanding and agreement at her words. It would be different for her anyway, she wasn't born with a wolf.