CHAPTER 1 - Part 2

*AMBER*

There was a wolf outside. That's all I could think. A wolf that was approachable like no other I'd encountered, a wolf that was colossal in size and seemed more than just a wolf. He stood outside the house like one of those body guards, it astounded me.

I looked out my window into the cold frosty night and there he was his fur illuminated by the moonlight turning it silvery, bringing out the stunning highlights in his fur. He had an appearance that made me fearful yet not. I shivered suddenly cold.

When I'd fed him the raw steak earlier I noticed afterward his eyes, there was something familiar about them as if I'd seen them before. They were a piercing gold with a silver ring around the pupils. Those eyes. I'd seen them before I'm sure of it.

I shrugged off the assumption and continued to look upon the wolf. It started to snow again and he retreated to the deeper forest.

I heaved a sigh and got into bed. Deep down it stung that my parents had left me, they did it all the time, I should be used to it by now but it still hurt. Heck last year on my birthday they were out on a "business" trip and sent me a card. A crappy convenient store card with a drawing of a girl with a big birthday cake and writing that read, Happy Birthday Abby!!!

Abby! I had stared at it for a while before opening it and say my parents handwriting reading: Sorry we couldn't find one that said Amber. No 'I love you' or any of that.

Yeah that bad, but this year they'd forgotten about it entirely until the next month. Then they had the nerve to tell me over the phone, 'Don't be angry Amber we're just busy.' So as an apology they bought me a new pair of shoes, pretty black things, expensive.

I never wore them. They still sat in the box in my closet untouched by my hands and collecting dust. I was much too full of grudge to wear them, they only stirred hateful feelings. So they stayed in their boxed cocoon probably never to see the light let alone meet my feet.

The hair on the back of my neck stood as I heard an eerie howl spilt the air and I jetted out of bed in a terror. I stood at my window which was still open from earlier—that's why I was cold—and peered outside. I didn't see anything for a while but then I saw the wolf standing in the tree line. I sighed and watched as he laid back down in the bushes, he'd probably been yowling to one of his wolf buddies or something.

I shut the window with a thud and locked it turning around and soaring back in bed. I pulled the sheets and cover around me enjoying the warmth of the blankets.

I found myself wondering why the wolf had followed me and why he'd stayed? Most of all I was wondering why he was so big. This was not 'Twilight.' Did the government know that wolves got that freaking big? Was he a freak of nature?

His conduct wasn't like the usual wolf though. I mean, I'd seen all kinds of wolves pass my yard and none of them stayed. They never even really glanced at the house.

I shook away the thought and nestled into my bed pulling the sheets up over my head. I was now in downright darkness and I curled up my arms embracing my pillow as I drifted into the lovely sleep.

I awoke the next morning and got out of bed walking over to the window. Boy, I thought it'd snowed a lot last time but this was a true big blanket. Everything was covered in the white stuff. I looked around suddenly fearing for the wolf. I hoped he hadn't frozen out there, though I doubted he had. I didn't see him though and concern pricked my heart.

I loved animals and I'd feel terrible if the wolf had died because of the cold but I shook the thought away.

He's fine, I told myself as I walked downstairs and stopped at the kitchen.