CHAPTER 2

Above pic is Lisa

Cold Night

*AMBER*

     I stared at Mason as he nodded in understanding, "I remember Christmases." His expression shadowed and he looked away. I felt my heart break a little and go out to him. He wasn't the best of guys so far, but I couldn't help feeling bad for him.

     He'd had a hard life; it was quite sad. He was most of the time emotionless and snappy but I knew deep down he had many emotions bubbling inside of him. He was muffling them and mostly acting cocky and sarcastic. Apparently though he doesn't realize that it's not proper for a teenaged boy—who most of the time recently or all of the time has been almost or all the way naked—to be in a girl's house he barely knows while her parents are away.

    Mason looked at me again and when he saw me looking he smirked. God his smirk was annoying but devilishly cute and I felt myself smile. When he saw my smile he grinned a little but then it faded.

    "So what led you here?" I asked not really knowing where it came from it just slipped out of my mouth. Mason looked me over and scoffed.

    "My feet." He growled his golden-silver eyes sparkling. His eyes caught a beam of light and they seemed to glow.

    I laughed and said, "I mean why are you here?"

    Mason stared at me saying gruffly, "Why are any of us here?" I felt myself growing hot under his gaze.

    "To fulfill our purpose in life I guess." I said feeling a blush in my cheeks.

    Mason chuckled, "Well maybe I came to fulfill my purpose." He said softly. Okay... I crossed my legs and tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

    "And what's that?" I asked looking at him.

    Mason looked me up and down and said in a tone that had me feeling self-cautious, "I don't know yet." I nodded slowly and looked around avoiding his eyes.

    Out of nowhere Mason walked over and sat on the couch beside me. I smiled shyly and he scooted a little closer and laid back stretching himself out handsomely beside me.

    We sat there for hours and I told him about everything. About me, my friend, my parents... I don't know why but it all just came out. Mason listened as I spoke only saying the occasional question and then going back to an expressionless façade.

What surprised me is that Mason after I was done started telling me about his life as a wolf. It was pretty harsh. He'd been criticized and kicked out of packs and even almost shot by a hunter way up north.

I ordered pizza after I realized how late it was and after about thirty minutes or so the doorbell rang. I tried to get up but really couldn't without waking Mason who was asleep next to me snoring softly. He'd fallen asleep after telling me about when he was little and his parents took him to the zoo. He was talking about the wolves at the zoo and how his father got unusually mad when Mason had wanted to stay at the wolf enclosure instead of going to see the rest of the animals.

Mason had paused afterwards and said—well started, "Do you think?" But then he shook his head and fell asleep.

I watched the soft rise and fall of his chest and found that I couldn't look away.

Aww he must be so tired, I thought. I marveled at his muscular body. I assume being a wolf for thirteen years had its perks. I was just sitting there staring at him—probably looking like a total creep—when a knock at the door brought me back and I looked away.