40 - YET TO BE REWRITTEN

Start from the beginning

I nod, taking the first few steps forward as my eyes land on the window of the small cottage. A light inside glows up and my eyes widen at the two silouhettes.

"Is that-" Ashton begins, but I find myself furiously knocking on the front door without letting him finish.

I hear a stumbling, and the sound of something from inside opening and closing.

I frown, stepping back as the doorknob rattles.

It opens to reveal a pale woman, with wisping white hair and a smile similar to my mother's. I quickly realize her to be my grandmother, and behind her are two tall men similar looking to me.

"Luke?" she says, her deep eyes sparkling.

I stand frozen in place, not knowing what to do now that I'm actually here. I opt to clear my throat awkwardly. "Uh, hi, gran-"

"Don't just stand there, boy, give me a hug!" she demands, throwing her arms forward and enveloping me in a tight embrace.

I feel the wind get knocked out of my body as soon as she does, and the two men behind her chuckle, nudging each other.

"I think that's enough, mamaw," the one on the left says, smirking at me. "You're suffocating the poor boy."

She finally lets go, after one last tight squeeze, smiling at me with big eyes.

"Thanks, Jack." I mumble, avoiding eye contact with the woman. I let my gaze fall to the floor.

"What are you doing here? And in the middle of the night?" my grandmother asks, still smiling. She looks over my shoulder. "I see you brought friends."

"Yeah, uh-"

"Ashley?" she says, her face lighting up. "Dear, is that you?"

"Hi, Nana Hemmings," Ashley waves weakly.

"My, you've grown! And the three lads-" she glances at me. "Are they-"

"Calum, Ashton, Michael," I nod. "Yeah. Friends since kindergarten."

"Yes, right!" she nods eagerly, stepping to the side to let us in. "Come in, come in! Ben, be a dear and get the kettle started up?"

"Teenagers don't drink tea-" my cousin Ben reasons, but my grandma flicks her hand up to silence him.

"Tea. Now." she says through pursed lips, and he sighs, ducking his head down.

"I'll go get the tea." he mutters, heading into the kitchen as Jack pats him smugly on the back.

"You too, Jack," grandma says, and his eyes widen. "Make sure your brother uses the fine china."

Groaning, Jack nods, following after Ben into the kitchen.

My grandmother takes me gently by the hand and beckons the others to follow us into the living room.

My heart pounds at the thought of being in the same place as Sophie, and I find myself looking left and right for her in the hallway. My shoulders slump when I can't find her, and I consider tearing away from my grandmother's grip to dart from room to room in hopes of seeing her.