29 - YET TO BE REWRITTEN

I manage to get home successfully on account of a couple of different things;

1) I ran into Ashley Fitzgerald on the way out of the ice cream parlour, and,
2) She just so happened to be with Ashton, who could drive. So he drove me home.

The whole ride was spent with the pair of them coaxing me on why I was at an ice cream parlour all by myself, while I spent a good thirty minutes wondering why it was just them two and Michael wasn't around.

I didn't answer them, of course, because god forbid I tell anybody about what happened with Calum other than Luke.

"Well, you've been gone for quite some time," my mother says, raising an eyebrow as I come in through the front door.

I shut it behind me quickly, startled by her sudden voice.

"Uh, yeah. I just went for a walk."

"For a good two hours?" she presses on.

I shrug. "I got lost."

"Mhm..."

"Honest, I did," I say, crossing my chest and trying to ignore the seething feeling of guilt in my stomach. "Ashton found me and took me home."

"Okay then," she sighs, looking over her glasses at me. "Have you got your clothes sorted out?"

"My clothes?" I furrow my eyebrows. "For what?"

"For tonight, Sophie," she reminds me, and I almost hear a lightbulb go off in my head.

"Oh, that!" I say, putting my first foot on the stair step. "I, uh, I'll go do that now."

"Alright."

I give my mother a slight smile, before bounding up the stairs two at a time.

The feeling of Calum's lips is still burning a hole on my mouth, so the first thing I do is make a bee-line for the bathroom.

After brushing my teeth and practically swilling seven caps of Listerine around my mouth, I go to my room to pick out an outfit.

My wardrobe is somewhat girly, with the occasional black shirt. I sift through every single article of clothing, before happily landing on a baby blue skater dress.

I set it on my bed and flop down next to it, sighing in relief. That's one thing taken care of.

The next? How I was supposed to tell Luke that I kissed Calum.

Or, how Calum kissed me. But did it really matter? It takes two people to take part in a kiss. Sure, I never kissed him back, but it still happened.

I make my way to Luke's room, trying not to convince myself not to fret about it too much.

I'm just about to knock, my fist in mid-air, when the door suddenly swings open.

My eyes widen when I see Luke; towering over me with his hair stuck to his forehead and his eyes bloodshot with tears.

Is he... crying?

"Luke?" I say softly, reaching a hand up to cup his face. But I don't get to, for he grabs it before I can even make contact.

"Don't," he says, his voice deep and croaky. His grip tightens on my wrist, before flinging it to the side. "Don't fucking touch me."

"W-what?"

"Are you deaf?" he snaps angrily, taking me by surprise. "Just... just leave me alone, Sophie."

I have no time to comprehend or say anything, for as soon as it registers on me, the door is slammed shut.