38 - YET TO BE REWRITTEN

❥

L U K E

"You let him kidnap my best friend?!"

I wince, holding the phone away from my ear as Ashley Fitzgerald starts to scream profanities on the other line.

I wipe my eyes to get rid of the tears threatening to spill again, not wanting her to hear me sniffling.

I let a few minutes pass before bringing the call to my ear again, only to be greeted with the threat of yanking me to Melbourne by the lip ring.

"Ashley!" I say, interrupting her. "Ash-"

"She is not going to Melbourne!" the girl snaps.

"I can't let my best friend just slip away, there's still so many things we haven't done! I haven't even acted like her lesbian lover to get her away from creeps at the club yet!"

I roll my eyes. "Ashle- wait, girls actually do that?"

"What? The lesbian thing? Oh, yeah. It's our favourite pasttime."

"Ah, that explains alo- what the fuck am I saying?" I pinch the bridge of my nose. "Ashley, what the hell do we do?"

I hear rustling. "I have an idea."

"You do?"

"Don't act so surprised," she scoffs, faking hurt.

"I'm not," I say boredly. "What's your idea?"

"I'm gonna need some duct tape, cheese, rope and a ladle."

"What are you even- oh my fuck, no, we are not tying my father up!"

She groans. "Then what the fuck do you want me to do?"

"Just think of something else. Anything!" I plead, before staring at the phone in confusion. "What did you even need the cheese for? And the ladle?"

"I like to eat when I hold people against their will," she explains, and I envision her shrugging. "As for the ladle, I just really wanna see how it feels to whack an old man with it."

"You are so weird," I groan. "Remind me why I called you first?"

"Because it was the only number on your mom's phone that you recognized?" Ashley chuckles. "Speaking of which, the fuck happened to your phone? And why don't you call Sophie?"

"My dad took my keys and my cell," I tell her. "I've tried calling Sophie, but everytime I do it just goes straight to voicemail."

"Luke?"

"Yeah?"

"Your dad is a lunatic."

"I know," I groan, hitting my head on the headboard of my bed. "Fuck, she's been gone for two hours and I already mis-"