14 - YET TO BE REWRITTEN

The second Ashley's loud voice booms throughout the hallway is the very second Luke and I spring apart.

"Soph!" she repeats, and I scramble to get to my feet.

Luke helps me up, his face slightly red.

"Sophie, are you-" Ashley pokes her head through the doorway and I blush. "Woah. You look like a tomato."

"Thanks." I mumble, walking towards her with my head down. I turn to Luke. "S-see you downstairs?"

My voice cracks just a bit and I watch as he swallows. His eyes haven't fully left my lips just yet. "Yeah. Sure."

I smile softly at him, before meeting Ashley at the door.

I take her by the wrist and together we walk down the stairs, where loud 80's hits are being played and my father's singing resonates through the halls.

"Oh, by the way, I borrowed this one," she tells me, lifting her shirt up to expose the bra.

I nod in approval at the white lace with the tiny pink bow. "Looks good on you."

"You think?" she grins. "It doesn't make my boobs look like saggy granny boobs?"

"No, Ash," I laugh. "It doesn't make your boobs look like saggy granny boobs."

"Boobs? Grannies?"

Our heads turn to the front door, where Ashton, Michael and Calum are letting themselves in.

They're carrying sleeping bags and rucksacks, all three of them getting stuck in the doorway due to attempting to come through at the exact same time.

Michael grins wildly as Ashley tugs her shirt down. "Should I be concerned that you two are talking about old lady breasts?"

"No, Mikey." I roll my eyes. Calum extends a hand and I take it, successfully pulling him into the hallway.

His eyes meet mine and he winks. I expect him to let go of my hand the second he stands next to me, but he doesn't.

"So," Ashton grins, setting his bags down next to the empty space near the door. "Who's coming today?"

"A few of our parent's friends. Our neighbours. You guys. Ashley." I tell him.

Ashton nods, running a hand through his curly brown hair before making his way to the living room.

We follow him, each of us crashing onto the couch.

Calum's hand is still in my own and I fight back the urge to smile.

"So the life-sucking, Prada-wearing, soul-taking, she-demon in disguise isn't going to be here?" Michael mumbles, switching the TV on.

I raise an eyebrow. "Who?"

"He means Chloe," Ashton chuckles, making Ashley howl in laughter.

I laugh uncertainly along with them, until I feel Calum's grip tighten ever so slightly on my hand.

He looks pale and dazed; guilty, almost.

I squeeze his hand and frown slightly. "Are you okay?"

"Hm?" he looks at me. "Me? Yeah, I'm fine."

"Good." I smile. But he doesn't smile back.

Suddenly the doorbell rings yet again, and I go to answer it- but Calum holds me down.

"I'll get it," he tells me quietly. "Why don't you go upstairs and ask Luke to come down?"

Slightly confused, yet feeling like I have no reason to be, I nod my head.