Chapter 19

Including this day, it has been a week they passed the Imperial Harem's gate legally. With the rare chances Ruolan had, he did his best doing and remembering all sorts of cooking methods every time he entered the kitchen. And yet he still unable to create a dish that could be presented to the Emperor. Pleasing the son-of-heaven was one of a hell job, really.

Speaking of the Emperor, Xuan Yu's shadow no longer could be seen in the Imperial Harem's court ever since Ruolan made his blood boil the other day. Strange. Usually, Ruolan would be very uncomfortable every time he saw that heavenly creature. However, for some reason he felt kind of lonely when the Emperor no longer coming over to his place. Perhaps, this feeling of emptiness emerged because Ruolan has gotten used to his presence.

The three of them chatted while walking side by side as they walked to the kitchen. Meng Yue has been a little talkative ever since Hui Qing joined them. But most of their conversation was mainly quarrels and Ruolan will always be the third party setting them down. Maybe this was how real girls dealing with each others, he thought. Even though he served a young mistress back at the Shu resident, but her behaviour was not even close to a woman's and she did not have a female friend. Hence why Ruolan never know how exactly girls treated with each others.

"You learn things quick, you know that right?" Smilingly, Ruolan complimenting Hui Qing.

Hui Qing smiled ear by ear, feeling proud of her achievement. "Now you acknowledged how smart I am. Not only a beauty, but also a quick learner! Peoples should learn from me."

Meng Yue scoffed, could not stomach Hui Qing's words. Most of the time, Hui Qing messed up everything and almost had several dishes turned into charcoals. Even so, her silly behaviour never angered Lady Shu which made Meng Yue feeling unsatisfied. "True. It took three days for Lady Hui to learn how to chop vegetables correctly and made very delicious dishes. She is truly a quick learner!"

Hui Qing's smile disappeared. She glared at Meng Yue, knowingly the maid's words hinted with sarcasm. "What is your problem? You are just envy that I have the potential to become a great cook! There are not many people born with talent such as me." She quickly marched into the kitchen as she said those words, leaving the two behind.

The maid shot a silly look at her lady, secretly mocking at Hui Qing words.

Ruolan only returned her look with sweat on his cheek.

Just as they were about to enter, both were startled by the loud voice coming from inside the kitchen. Alarmed, they immediately barged into the kitchen and saw Hui Qing was sitting on the floor, looking panic.

"What happen?" Ruolan asked, flustered.

"W-Who are you?" Hui Qing shouted, pointing towards the black figure squatting near the shelves. They could not see the face because it's back faced them.

The black figure stood and slowly turned to their direction. Its moves were slow and suspicious that Ruolan readily pulled out a rolling pin from the nearest drawer, just in case he needed it for protection. As soon as the unknown figure turned back, they gasped in surprise to see the handsome face greeted them cheerfully, "Oh, hello ladies!"

The man was actually Xuan Yuan Rui, disguising as a servant. Since they never met him before, obviously, they did not know he was actually a noble.

"Did I scare you all?" He tilted his head to the side, looking clueless.

"Stupid servant!" Hui Qing angrilly stormed at him, hitting the Third Prince using all her strength. "Dare to shock me like that! Do you not have any other ways to greet us rather than appearing like this?!"