Chapter 1

Zhong, capital city of Kingdom He.

It was a busy afternoon. Citizens in the capital city of kingdom He were doing their own businesses. Some were selling and dealing with their customers, some were drinking wine to their heart's content with their friends and families, and children cheerfully strolling down the busy street, singing lullabies and random songs. It was merry.

Still, there was a quiet and peaceful area somewhere in the suburb not too far from the main capital, unlike the busy streets; the place was full of blooming flowers. The temperature was moderate. The flower petals scattered across the yard, covering the ground like winter snow. Birds twitting, cool breeze and beautiful scenery, it was a perfect place to rest and relax one's body and mind, however...

"WHAT?!"

A loud voice cracked the peaceful atmosphere. It belongs to none other than the daughter of the famous silk maker family, Shu. Her big, round eyes were wide open in shock. Her servant, Ruolan, whom sat in between his master and his mistress, was startled to the sudden raise of volume.

The middle age man in his early 40, Shu Weng, cleared his throat. That morning, he received an imperial letter from the government's officer. It stated that the Emperor had sent his decree to the chosen families throughout the country. All family name in the list will have to contribute their daughter to be the Emperor's concubine and the Shu family was one of them. Of course, this news distressed the young mistress.

"THIS IS BULLSHIT!!" Shu Xiaofan slammed the table infuriately, spilling a cup of warm tea all over the table. Being alert, Ruolan quickly took a cloth to dry up the spilled tea. His adorable hazel eyes took a short glance on both of them before moving back to his young mistress. Judging from the situation, it seemed like his master will suffer headache dealing with his tomboyish daughter again.

"Father, I do not want to be one of the imperial concubines!" The young mistress strongly stated her dissatisfaction.

Shu Weng only shook his head lightly as he released a sigh; he knew his daughter will object but they had no choice, it was not them to decide.

Ruolan too, being the trusted servant that has been serving the family ever since he was young understood his mistress's temper too well. Speaking of marriage, last time when his master tried to marry her off with the Hui family's son, she ended up locking herself in her room and refused to go out.

To their knowledge, the Hui was one of the wealthiest families in Zhong. Many have tried to match their daughter with the Hui's son; sadly, none of them succeed so far. However, Shu Weng still wanted to try his luck because he wanted the best for his daughter.

Unfortunately, Shu Xiaofan does not even know any of Hui's men nor even interested, she declined. Persuasion, after persuasion, the young mistress still refused get married. Since that very incident, her father never brought up the matters again.

Reminiscing back, the event happened three months ago gave him a headache. Even his master had it hard to persuade the young mistress to step out from her room. Let alone him.

But this time is different. Ruolan waited anxiously for his master's reply.

The middle aged man rubbed his temple. He had no idea on how should he persuade his daughter to accept the decree. "Xiaofan ah, do you know what is the punishment for declining the Emperor's decree?"

His serious expression mixed with question made Shu Xiaofan's upset face changed, "Uhm... D-Death penalty.... Is it..?" She hesitantly replied.

"Exactly." Someone whom has been there listening the whole conversation voiced out. Shu Nuan let out a soft sigh: "If we are to decline the Emperor's decree, not only you to be executed but our house and shop will be burned as well. He would not let any of the Shu family escape that easily. Do you want that to happen?" Her mother gave her cold but somewhat worry expression, trying to convince her daughter to accept the decree.