Chapter 5

"Who is there?! Show yourself!"

The cold and rigid tone successfully scared the young man hiding in the bush, Ruolan froze in his spot, his face changed colour into a ghastly pale and was unable to control his sweats from rolling down his body.

"I am so dead! I am so dead! I AM SO DEAD!!"

Ruolan silently screamed in his heart as thousands word of 'death' rapidly crossed over his mind. He never thought his escape attempt would lead him to this... Wait. This was the risk of trying to get away from the palace anyway. His body and mind should have been prepared for the worst outcome. But, coming out from a bush in front of those noblemen, they will think him no more than a suspicious man and certainly will not giving him a clean death before they discover his true intention. After been thinking for a while, he found out that he had only two options whether to reveal himself or run away.

If he chose the first option, he will definitely be struck with thousand of questions and if he failed to answer them, his head will instantly roll on the ground. However, if he chose the second option, countless of guard will capture him then throw him into the dungeon. Not to mention, the possibility of getting torture was high and they will certainly do anything just to make him spit out the truth. Once they satisfied torturing him, he will be just like a broken rag doll and left to die in the dark and cold place. To Ruolan's terror, both choices end up a death penalty! Neither those options can be use!

"What is a servant like you doing here?"

Ruolan almost jumped his lung out when he heard the voice directly behind him, utterly undetected and unannounced. He was stunned and rooted to his spot, his whole body trembling in fear and he was soaked in sweats. Never in his life had he been this terrified. His mind now pondering whether he should kneel down, crying bitterly and beg for mercy or just stay silent in his spot, pretending to be deaf?

Ruolan choked back his saliva, both of his hands closed into a tight ball. The second option does not seem like a good move. Go for the first option then. Whatever the outcome was, he will just go through it.

In a speed of a wind, the young man spun around, both his hands and his forehead immediately pressed on the ground: "Please forgive your lowly servant for your lowly servant did not mean to interrupt!"

How pathetic. Yes, Ruolan well aware that his act was pathetic and believed that those noblemen were accustomed with it. But, what else he can do other than begging for mercy? Perhaps... If they listen to his explanation, they might reconsider and spare his life... Even though the chances to be forgiven were small, but he will never know unless he try, right? Ruolan could only hope and pray for the successful outcome.

"Did not mean? Then, you came here unintentionally?" Although his voice was cold and deep, but there was a trace of surprise in his tone.

Ruolan gulped. He carefully chose his words before answering: "Yes. The truth is, your lowly servant is still new here and got lost because he does not familiar with this place... While your lowly servant tries his best to find a way back to the servant's quarters, he suddenly heard a sound of a bamboo flute... That is why your-..."

"That is enough. Lift your head."

"Eh?"

Ruolan's eyes widened, small drops of sweat slowly fell down to the ground. He could feel his heart pounding wildly in his chest. Did he found any suspiciousness in his answers? Or did he not want to waste time and wanted to chop his head instantly?

"Do you not hear me? I said lift your head." ordered the man, whom was still standing before him; his tone still remained the same.

In a second after he repeated his words, Ruolan felt like his world turned into a pitch black. Everything was all dark; the Heaven's gate that always opened to receive his prayers was all closed and no longer brightened him with its light. "Ah... If only... If only he ignore the music and continued his search for the escape route, things would not become like this..." Ruolan could hear his own voice echoing his regrets in his mind.