Chapter 6

The natural landscape of the earth changed into a greenish surrounding and no longer draped in colourful blossoms as the loud sound of cicadas cry could be heard all over the place, the lotus flowers in the pond gradually rose above the water surface and bloom, showing its remarkable and outstanding beauty. Time passed by in the blink of an eye, the temperature increased and everyone was soaked with sweats, summer has come.

Due to the hot temperature, the outdoor activities in the women's sanctuary lessened, therefore made those young women heaved a delightful sigh for their beautiful and soft skins not having contact with the burning sunray and be able to stay cool in their room.

However, even though they can stay in their chamber throughout the hot day, the summer heat still could be felt all over the room and melted the young man cloaked in a woman's robes. In all seasons, Ruolan hated summer the most because he cannot bear with the heat, not only his skin became red and flushed, it also made him all sweaty and sticky. He lay helplessly on the floor, his black and thick wig scattered on the floor as beads of sweat poured all over his body. Trapped in a small room full of heat, his situation right now exactly the same as a duck roasted in the oven.

The door opened and a young woman with a servant attire appeared. She wore plain red silk robes and dark browned hair-pin, half of her long and dark silky hair combed into a bun, leaving the rest of her hair loose. Meng Yue brought a bottle of water then served it to the worn out young 'mistress'. Watching Ruolan lying on the floor like a salted fish being dried under the sun, she could not help but to pity him.

"I brought Lady Shu a water." She knelt while handed the small cup of water to Ruolan.

Ruolan felt like he does not have the energy to lift his hand and take the small cup since the heat really sucked the energy out of him, with a little effort, he managed to sit then grabbed the cup and emptied it in one gulp. "Thank you, that was refreshing."

Meng Yue still in her kneeling position, asked him: "It is indeed hot if Lady Shu keep on staying in this room, how about going outside and have a rest under the tree?"

Hearing her suggestion, Ruolan sighed then lay back on the floor. "I prefer laying here instead of going outside. The floor is colder and comfortable, care to join me?"

The maid let out a nervous chuckle and humbly declined his offer. Ruolan nodded in understanding and dismissed her. After his servant left, he was all alone in that room again, only the sound of the loud insect could be heard somewhere in that quarters.

It has been five months since he left the Shu residence and lived in the palace as a concubine. Living in disguise was hard, well, how could it not? He was a man but he had to wear a woman's clothes, need to act like a woman, and wore jewelleries and so on.

Ruolan sighed deeply; he somehow missed the days when he was still a servant. Even though being a servant was hard, at least he had something to do other than sitting in a room, titivating himself and learned all those womanish stuffs like rearranging flowers and so on. If he stayed there longer, he will die of boredom as well his identity will slowly expose if he did not escape as soon as possible.

Speaking of escape, he did attempted to do so but the palace buildings were confusing and huge, he even nearly die because he accidentally interrupted someone's leisure time as well mistaken as a spy. After the incident, he had been extremely careful to his surrounding and not to cause anymore problem that would lead him into his own doom. So far, he did not encounter any problem since then.

But...

When he think about it, if it was not because of his small mistake, he would not have crossed with Yu that day. Aiyaa! Why can he not stop thinking about him? Ruolan covered his face in embarrassment; he felt like his situation was the same as a woman in love, getting excited over a man. Wait, what if he really in love? With a man?! He gasped: Goodness, I do not have that kind of interest...!! Ruolan screamed internally in horror.