Chapter 8

The annoyance of an alarm constantly beeping was what dragged Bethany out of bed the next morning. She reluctantly took a shower, dried her hair, and left it to fall naturally over her right shoulder as she pulled on black jeans, a white t-shirt and added a necklace to make her whole look more put together. Finally, she tucked in the front of her shirt, slipped on white converse high tops and left her apartment.

Bethany didn't own a car, she only ever rode a black Motor bike, but she had destined it to only be used for vigilante-ing. So, it was either walk to StarLabs or not go, she chose the former since she hadn't seen Barry in about a month.

On the way to the condemned building, the blonde stopped at Jitters, getting a coffee for herself, Caitlyn, and Cisco. She neglected getting Dr.Wells one because he seemingly had some sort of hatred towards Bethany.

The sky was barely lit when she had arrived to her destination. She entered the Cortex, seeing the black haired guy she had come to know and love, sitting at a computer scrolling through someone's Facebook page. Walking behind him, Bethany got a clear view of the page only to see Barry's name at the top.

"Well that's kinda stalkerish," Bethany commented, causing Cisco to flinch in surprise but smile once he realized who it was.

"Yeah, probably," he laughed. "Surprised I didn't do it sooner." Bethany smirked, handed him one of the cups of coffee, then looked around the rest of the room.

"Where's Caitlyn," she asked. Cisco swiveled in his chair to face her, drawing his attention away from the computer for the first time since she had entered.

"Said she would be late today." The blonde nodded, finally glancing towards the boy laying on a bed in the middle of the Cortex.

"I'll just stick around until she gets here then, don't want to get in trouble for being late...again." Bethany sat on the bed, turning her body to face Barry while gently grabbing his hand. "Is he still the same," she asked Cisco, who had gone back to scrolling on his computer.

"Pretty much," he answered, giving her a sad smile. Suddenly, Bethany's felt a slight pressure on her hand, she could have sworn the Barry had squeezed her hand ever so slightly, but while watching his chest continue to rise and fall at a steady pace, she concluded she had only imagined it.

About 15 minutes later Caitlyn finally walked in. "Sorry I'm late," she apologized, putting her things down. "Traffic was awful." Bethany looked at her quizzically. Caitlyn was lying, Bethany knew it, but she decided not to question her and to, instead, get to work on time.

"Welp," she jumped off of her position on the bed and began to head towards Caitlyn. "I got you a coffee, it's still warm, but I need to get to the lab if I still want my job."

She gathered her things, quickly said goodbye to the two and began to run out, but she could have sworn she could hear Poker Face by Lady Gaga playing in the distance just as she left the building.

~~~

Lucky for Bethany, she was use to running far distances quickly, and without exhaustion, so she had arrived to work on time.

Without much discussion, Joe had sent her up to the lab to finish examining some water she had collected from a crime scene the day before that had melted from ice inside a bank, which didn't make sense because it was indoors, it hasn't been hailing, and it had a no food or drinks rule. The blonde thought of her best friend, whom she would teasingly call Soporose Sawyer if he was awake to hear it, who would have loved the case.