Chapter 7

Running down the street, Barry was panting and colliding into several people. Bethany rolled her eyes. She sped up, her intake of air still steady as she saw the yellow tape that signified a crime scene, come into view.

"Where's Allen," Bethany heard from a distance. Cringing at the thought of Barry getting in trouble with captain Singh once again, the blonde pushed herself faster, causing Barry to do the same.

Easily, they got past the officers guarding the crime investigation, and ran up to Singh.

"Sorry I'm late, Captain Singh." Bethany stayed silent as she adjusted her blazer, curious how Barry was going to get out of this one.

"What was it this time? Forget to set your alarm clock? Before you answer, the excuse you gave last time was car trouble. Wanna know why that one was particularly memorable?"

"I do not own a car," Barry admitted.

The CSI was embarrassing himself and his assistant was, once again, going to give a realistic reason as to why he was late only someone spoke up before her.

"He was running an errand for me. Barry, did you get me what I asked for?" Barry felt around in his pockets, coming up short when he realized he had nothing to give Joe. The blonde pouted before looking down at the breakfast she had stopped on the way to get, before quickly handing it to Joe.

Barry looked at her apologetically as Joe hesitantly took the bag from her. They walked over to what looked like tire tracks, quickly kneeling down to get a better view.

"I owe you lunch, Beth," Barry whispered, handing Bethany a black pair of gloves and putting some on himself. The tension still cut through the air sharply, as though each step they took was on broken glass.

They got on the ground, their elbows holding themselves up so they could see the tracks up close.

"Looks like a mustang," Bethany offered, looking up towards Barry.

The CSI smiled, pushing himself up, while Bethany followed, putting her hands on the cement and pushing herself up, landing her feet flat on the ground so she could easily stand.

"Getaway car is a Mustang Shelby GT500. Shelbys have a rear super-wide tire specific to that model. Twelve inches with an asymmetrical tread. And there's something else." The blonde saw what he was looking at, reaching to grab him an instrument meant to collect substances only to turn around and see Barry holding Detective Chier's pen. He picked up the brown substance, bringing it to his nose to smell it only for his face to cringe in disgust.

"Fecal excrement. Animal, I'd guess."

"My dad gave me that pen...before he died."

"Sorry," Barry apologized, closing his eyes. He had only just shown up to work and he had already messed up twice.

"I'll disinfect it when we're done with it," the blonde smiled awkwardly.

Bethany put her hand out, catching the bag and neatly putting it into Barry's suit case so they could head back to the lab.

Once they made it back, Bethany had insisted on analyzing the feces because she felt as though she wasn't much help at at the crime scene. She glanced at the screen Barry was currently messing with only to see a picture of Mark Mardon pop up.

"It's cow manure...are they hiding on a farm," Bethany thought out loud. Before Barry could answer, Iris walked in.

"Okay, I'm ready to see this atom smasher--smashing," she announced mostly to Barry seeing how Bethany hadn't given the Particle accelerator much thought.