Chapter 14

Ally's POV

"Hey Ally what took you so long?" Gabby asked.

"I didn't want to get trampled while wearing these things," I muttered. Gesturing towards the shin length high heel boots I borrowed from her this morning.

"Hey, they're cute though, and you look good in them," she replied, giggling.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll see you later, I have to stop by my house to get a couple things," I said, grabbing my things and closing my locker.

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow Ally," she replied.

I walked out to my truck and got in. I switched on the radio, started the engine, and began driving the familiar route to my house. I hummed along to the song that was currently playing until I pulled into the driveway of my house. I took a deep breath in, not wanting to go in.

Memories flooded my mind as I walked into my house. The familiar smell of roses filled the air, roses were my mother's favorite, so I made sure to keep some in the house at all times. I knew I would have to begin packing, and soon, I didn't want to be here long, I wanted to grab our stuff and get the hell out. I couldn't keep looking at this place.

I mindlessly tensed up as I climbed the stairs and passed my father's room. The door was left open, but his bed was empty, something I wasn't used to seeing. A stray tear fell down my cheek at the thought of him. I missed him, his voice, and his jokes. To be truthful he wasn't himself after he got sick, he didn't laugh the same, he didn't smile the same, he didn't think the same. But then again who would? I walked into Ryan's room, it was a mess, as usual, but he was only 3 years old. I grabbed a few toys and began tossing them in the box, knowing that if I didn't at least bring him some he would be bored out of his mind. About halfway into my packing, I heard a knock at the front door. I wondered who it could be, I told Gabby about my father passing, but she knew I wasn't here. Maybe it was Jessica, coming to help? I got up and made my way to the front door.

"Who is it?" I asked, pressing my ear against the door to hear their response.

"It's CPS, open up!" a voice demanded.

(A/N: Just so you know, CPS stands for Child Protective Services)

CPS? Why were they at my house, what did they need with me? I hesitantly opened the door, revealing two men, both dressed rather casually for their job.

"Um, Hi?" I said.

"Hello Ms. Stewart, we got permission to come and check this home, we've heard quite a bit of information about you and your family and we just want to check the home before we close the investigation," the man said, letting himself in.

"Um... I guess that's alright, but may I ask why?"

"Ma'am, please save your questions, we'll explain everything when we're done checking the home, thank you," he replied sternly. I frowned but took a seat on the sofa, watching as the men looked at every single detail of the house, one man took notes while the other took pictures.

After what felt like hours, the men came and sat down in the living room with me, ready to talk.

"We have a couple things we'd like to discuss with you, let me introduce myself though, my name is Jason, and this is Lyle," he said a smile spreading across his face.

"Oh well.... Nice to meet you, but I'd like to know why you guys are here right now, I'm really worried," I admitted.

Lyle cleared his throat and began talking; "Ally, we're going to say this in the calmest way we can," he said; "we came here today to inform you that your little brother Ryan cannot stay with you. After looking around the home and learning more about you're background we've discovered that you are not fit enough to take care of him."