Chapter Fifty-Four

Start from the beginning

In the place of the star, my chest healed itself by creating ice instead of skin. I ran my hand over it, feeling the coolness on my fingers. And the flame inside me was visible. There were two of them; one that burned pitch black and the other had different shades of gray.

"Is this how your body feels like, Luka?" I asked, concerned of the double flames that burned in this body.

"At first, yes. But his flame burns out the longer I reside in his body."

"Okay, what is going on?" The boy beside me asked. "I never got an explanation. All I know is you're not Lara." He took a couple steps back, watching me. Then he placed his feet on the ground as if he was having an inner conflict.

"I'm Amara, you may know me a mistake since your magic energy is of a Guardians," I said, getting the feel of his weak energy that his body was emitting. He was a newbie. "Or maybe not."

"No, I don't. I just want to know where Lara is." He kept his eyes on me, searching me.

"In here." I pointed to the clear spot on my chest. "Her flame burns in the body that we share, our thoughts are the same, our words are the same, and so are our movements. We are one, yet, I can feel her energy waver a bit, so we're not nearly there."

He placed his hand in front of him and between his hands water began to form, but not enough to complete what he had in mind. Since he was new, he couldn't bring forth his sword.

"I wouldn't if I were you. You could end up like her," I pointed to the girl lying on the floor.

"Lara wouldn't let you. She's not like you," he said, stopping the sword.

"There's so much you don't know. Before I was taken by the Guardians-" I felt Luka grab my arm, stopping me from continuing.

"We don't have time for history. It's time to go. Bye, Noah, I guess this is where I don't need you anymore, and don't worry, I'll let you live." Luka started to walk away and I walked beside him, leaving everyone there.

I could hear Mira shouting and trying to use her magic on us, but together, Luka and I, were almost unstoppable. Her magic wasn't strong enough to penetrate the magic we built. The Guardians were dropping their swords one by one, knowing they were incapable of piercing us.

Somewhere behind the commotion, I could hear him calling my name. His voice reaching my soul. I wanted to break free from Amara's control over my body, but I didn't have the strength. My magic seemed weak compared to hers.

My feet met with the ocean water below. Luka and I both dove into the water and were on our way.

I wanted to stop myself.

I wanted to go back and run with Noah.

There was no escape, there was no way out.

What was I supposed to do?

"What's wrong, Amara?" Luka said, walking into our room. He stood right beside me as I stared into the mirror. I was running my hand over the black strip of hair that appeared just moments ago.

"Is this normal?" I asked, trying to make sense of what was happening to my appearance. Would I lose all of my blonde hair to the darkness? Not only were my insides changing, but it was affecting my appearance. How far would it go?

"I guess. The magic that flows through our every being is darker than night. It has begun to overpower who we are. We will be what it commands." Luka moved the hair away from his eye that he always kept covered and revealed to me the mark that appeared on his face. There was a long black mark underneath his eye. The line started thick and ended thin right above his neck.

"What is happening to us? Will our appearance change to one of a demon's?" I asked, worried I would look nothing like myself when the magic has run its course.

"Demons aren't real." He dropped his golden blonde hair back over his eye.

"Neither was the magic we discovered, but here it is. The living proof that we have what no one even knew existed." I turned to Luka and placed my hand underneath his hair, running my fingers over the black line. His magic energy was releasing from the mark on his face. "Have you tried?"

"Not yet," he replied.

He ran his hand through my long hair and felt the ends of it between his fingers. We both stared at the color of my hair.

I faced the mirror once again, running my hand over my new black hair.

_________________

This was really difficult to write. I hope it makes sense haha...

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.