39 - YET TO BE REWRITTEN

I wrote this while trying not to lose myself in IKEA so if there's any grammatical errors I apologize :-)❥

L U K E

"What's this song?"

"Girls."

"By who?"

"The 1975."

I nod, cranking the volume up more. Someone groans from behind me and I look in the rearview mirror.

It's Ashley; sitting in the middle of both Michael and Calum with a look of absolute murder on her face as the two boys rest their heads on her shoulders, fast asleep.

I smirk. "You good, Fitzgerald?"

"Shut the fuck up."

"Don't swear," Ashton frowns at her through the mirror.

"I do what I want, I'm punk rock."

"That's my line," Michael yawns, nuzzling his head closer to hers. "But it's fine. We can share."

I crinkle my nose, folding my arms and leaning back into my seat as I stare outside of the window.

The sun has set completely, the only light emitting from the tall lampposts on the sides of the freeway.

I watch as the vast, empty fields go by, my teeth playing with my lip ring. I feel my eyes begin to grow heavy, but I know I can't sleep now.

My mind is way too busy thinking of Sophie; her laugh, her eyes, her smile that can light up the night. I find myself always going back to painting a picture of her in my head, especially when it goes quiet and nobody talks. It's as if she's all I know.

Then again, it's always been like that. But that's what happens when you have a girlfriend, right? You're supposed think about her all the time, and want the best for her. And as fucked up as it sounds, I still let my brotherly instincts kick in every now and then, so naturally I'm protective.

"How long have we been driving?" Ashley asks, letting out a soft yawn.

Ashton checks his watch, frowning. "A little over six hours."

"So we're nearly there?"

He shakes his head with a disappointed look. "Nope. Not even halfway."

"What?" Calum groans, lifting his head up. His voice is groggy from sleep as he slowly stretches his arms out.

"I thought you said the drive would be a little over eight hours? How are we not even halfway there?"