Bringing Her Back

Start from the beginning

"Yes."

"So, I asked your mother, and she told me where it was. She was so nice to me, she even offered me to stay at your house." I don't know what made her feel like that, but she looked surprised.

"Oh really?" She says, her eyebrows raised.

"Yes. But I don't want to disturb anyone. Probably it would be irritating to hear a guitar all day round. In the hotel which I am staying at, I rented this conference room where I can go anytime when I want to compose. And it is a hotel that your mother suggested me to stay at because it is very close to your house. So it doesn't make a big difference right?"

"Yeah, you're right. But just know that you wouldn't be disturbing. My parents are always working, and the only person who would hear you playing would be Marta, the cleaning lady." She says, pulling me over to where she had dropped her backpack. "Anyways, I am going home now. You're coming, or do you want to rest? I'm sure you're tired."

"Nah, I'm fine. I'll come with you."

***

Stepping inside Sadie's house and feeling the cold air of the turned on air conditioning, I couldn't help but sigh of relief.

"God Sadie, you were right. This city is so hot!" I say. It was really hot outside, the day resembling a Summer day in Pickering. Or worse. I don't remember ever having such a hot day.

"Yes. And we are in the middle of the Winter. Imagine how it is in the Summer?" She says, her expression saying that it wasn't pleasant at all. "Good thing is that I can go to the pool the whole year round."

Passing through the kitchen which was from where we entered, I greet the cook/ cleaning lady by saying "good afternoon", however, she throws me a quizzical look.

Right. Different country, different language.

Sadie steps forwards, talking to her in words I didn't understand. She then says my name as she gestured to me, and guessing that she was introducing me, I grin. Marta nods in aknowledgement in a polite way, and after Sadie says something more, she nods again, and turns around, continuing to dry a plate with a cloth.

"What did you say to her?" I ask, feeling slightly useless.

"I was explaining that you don't know how to speak the same language as her and that you were trying to say "good afternoon". I also said that you are my friend." She said, gesturing her head to a door. "I also asked her to bring us some snacks. I'm so hungry, the school food was horrible today."

Opening the door, I find myself in a large living room, couches and a huge TV in a corner, a dining table in the other. Here, the air was even colder, and I guessed that the cool air from the kitchen had come from here. The TV was on, and a woman was sitting on the coach, a computer on her lap.

"Mum! Look who's here!" Sadie says beaming, capturing the woman's attention. Making eye contact with me, she smiles. Mrs.Salvay is very different from Sadie. While Sadie has dark hair and eyes, Mrs. Salvay has blonde hair and blue eyes. Nevertheless, the resemblence between the two of them is still there.

"Shawn, you're here! I am so happy to finally meet you personally. You know, with my daughter speaking so well of you, I knew I had to meet you." She says warmly, with an obvious British accent.