Nightingale (4)

Chapter 4: Nightingale ♡

❝I need a voice to echo, I need a light to take me home. I kinda need a hero, is it you? I never see the forest for the trees. I could really use your melody. Baby, I'm a little blind, I think it's time for you to find me.❞ - Nightingale by Demi Lovato

⋆⋆⋆

“You guys have made it to the next cut off!” The chirpy blonde sitting opposite of us told us. “Congratulations guys!” The interview was pretty straightforward. They just asked us how we were met, what we do for a living and all of that. We seemed so boring so I didn’t think we’d make it to the next cut.

            I smiled, happily at Drew. “How many cut offs are there?” he asked.

            “Well ten couples will make it into that cut off and then either one or two couples will become part of the Newlywed Game!”

            I knew we wouldn’t make it to the next cut. “We should just go home, we’re not going to get in.”

            “We’ve made in this far,” Drew told me. “I’m sure we’ll do fine.”  We were shown to a smaller room that had around twenty chairs in a circle. There were already some other couples in there. Some keeping to themselves, others in heated make-out sessions and others just talking to the other couples. Drew and I took a seat. I felt awkward, as I usually did.

            Drew and I didn’t really talk much to the other couples. We kept to ourselves. We spoke about anything except the game that we were auditioning for, I could tell he could tell that I was nervous; occasionally he would rub my back. The last couple entered the room and took their seats next to us. They were an older couple and looked like they were parents. After they sat down, a man and woman walked in but I could tell they weren’t a couple because they were holding a clipboard.

            “Hi cuties! Congrats for making it so far! You’ve beat hundreds of other couples and now this is the easy bit. I’m Sara and basically, I’m just going to be watching how you interact with the other couples and maybe ask you some questions. Same with Roderick.” The lady pointed to the man next to her and he waved. Sara clapped, “Okay loves! Go ahead and socialize!”

            A middle aged man and his wife approached us with huge smiles on their faces. “How cool is it that we’ve made it this far!”

            “It’s pretty awesome,” Drew agreed. “I’m Drew and this is my beautiful wife, April.” I had the sudden urge to roll my eyes.

            “She is very beautiful,” the man said, eyeing me down. His wife coughed, awkwardly and looked down at her shoes.

Drew wrapped his arm around me and smiled politely. “We’re just going to go get some water.” Once we were away from that couple I started laughing hysterically. Drew started laughing as well but I wasn’t sure what he was laughing at. I was laughing at how awkward that situation was, it helped laughing.

            “What are you laughing at?” I asked, once I calmed myself down.

            “Nothing,” he flashed me a charming grin. “I just didn’t want you to look stupid laughing all by yourself.” Well if that wasn’t absolutely adorable, I didn’t know what was.

            The man, Roderick walked up to us. He looked at us and then down at his clipboard. “Ah, you’re Drew and April! I’m going to ask you a couple of questions, okay?”

            “Go ahead,” Drew replied.

            “How long have you been married?”