Chapter 29

"Did you see any signs of a 'new one' anywhere?" Harry asks me as we make our way to the South Wing.

     I shake my head. It's been bothering me since Lia told me about it. It's obviously not the only thing bothering me, but whatever the new one is, it's going to be here soon.

"No, I didn't. What do you think it might be?" I ask.

"It could be anything," Harry says, "Maybe it's a new kind of flower or something."

"No, that doesn't sound right. Do you think it could be a new type of food?" I wonder. "I remember Lia telling me something about how bread isn't the only thing that can be eaten. She said that Lenore mentioned other types of food."

"Yeah, it might be that," he agrees, "I can't imagine that there would be anything to eat other than bread, though. It could be some new paint colors."

"Maybe." I reply. I'm getting anxious, what if the new one is something bad? It's driving me crazy to think about it, I hope it gets here soon because the suspense is horrible.

     Harry and I reach the table in time for Second Feeding and we sit down. Louis is already sitting across from me and Harry takes a seat next to him. Everyone else comes one by one, except Peter and Dan, who were already sitting together when we got here.

"Hey, Aimes." Louis greets me.

"Hi, Lou. Did you end up going to the Garden like you said you would?" I ask.

     Louis nods, "Yeah, I went with Zayn, Pam, and that other girl, I think her name is Kate. I left early to come here."

"Speaking of Zayn-" I begin.

"Aimee." Harry interrupts me, shaking his head.

     I shrug, "What? I was just going to ask Louis if Zayn was mean to him at all."

"Why would Zayn be mean?" Louis confusedly asks, "He's one of our best friends."

     Harry sighs and looks down at his plate, picking up the bread and starting to eat it.

"Hey, guys!" Zayn yells as he reaches our table. He was about to sit next to me in Lia's seat when Louis calls him over.

"Zayn! Sit next to me, mate." He pats the empty seat next to him. Zayn walks over to him and sits down, to my relief. I'm so glad he didn't sit next to me. I don't have a problem with him, but I'd prefer it if Lia's seat would stay empty. Actually, I do have a bit of a problem with him. He freaks me out with his politeness, it's like he isn't even Zayn anymore. He's a completely new person. Wait a minute...he's a new person. Could he be the "new one" that Bates was talking about? Oh, my gosh. It's Zayn, he's the new one!

"Harry!" I excitedly whisper. Harry looks up from his bread and stops eating.

"What? What is it? Is something wrong?" He worriedly asks.

     I shake my head, "Nothing's wrong, I figured out what the new one is."

     He gasps, "You did? What is it?"

     I nod, "It's Zayn."

"What?!" He exclaims incredulously.

"Shh!" I shush him, looking around. Louis and Zayn are too busy talking to each other to notice us.

"Are you sure? He's not exactly new." Harry points out.

"I was just thinking about things and I realized that, since Zayn isn't the same person that he used to be," I explain, "He's practically someone else. He's like a new Zayn or something. Besides, Lia said the new one should show up in a week and it's been a week since then."