Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

I nodded. "Same. And hearing her cry for the first time...letting us know that she's alive and well. Can you imagine?"

He immediately broke out a fond, affectionate smile, "Mhmm. To be honest, I think I'm gonna cry as well."

I laughed. "It's OK. I'm pretty sure I will, too. And it won't just be because of the hormones."

Harry chuckled. "Anyway, I came in here because I thought you might want something to eat. Mike whipped up some omelette," he smiled at me, "I know you can't resist omelette."

I smiled back and let out an amused scoff. "You know me too well,"

"I do indeed," Harry cheekily tapped my nose, "and I also know that baby might like some omelette as well."

"She might," I giggled, "OK, I'll have some. But you need to help me off this bed – because I honestly feel like I can't get up. Hashtag 'Baby Bump Struggles'."

Harry rolled his eyes and chuckled before getting up from the bed and then helping me up as well – smiling at me and quickly pecking my lips before taking my hand and leading me out of the cabin.

***

"Afternoon, you two," Mike smiled at us as Harry led me into the kitchen, "heard about the omelette I made, eh Laura?"

"I did," I chuckled softly, "any leftovers?"

He nodded. "Of course – plenty," he scooped up a fresh omelette out of a pan and plopped it onto a plate, "I just made a fresh one, actually. It's all yours. I'm sure it's about feeding time for the little one,"

"It is, actually," I placed my hand on my bump as a force of habit and smiled, "thanks, Mike."

"No problem," he placed the omelette on top of the small table in the kitchen as I sat down in front of it, "eat up, Laura. Give that little girl some protein,"

I chuckled again and nodded. "Yes, sir," I gave him a joking salute.

"I'm just gonna quickly pop up to the patrol tower sweetheart," Harry told me quietly, "I need to keep an eye out for Mako & Farlan's return,"

"OK," I smiled at him, "but...come back soon?"

"Of course," he kissed my forehead, "or come find me if I'm not back by the time you're done eating,"

"Mhmm," I quickly ran my fingers through his thick, soft curls and smiled, "bye, Haz."

"Bon appétit, my love," he smiled back at me, "I'll see you soon."

I nodded and gave him a quick wave goodbye before he left the kitchen.

"So, how old is my granddaughter now, Laura?" Mike asked me after Harry left, "I'm afraid I've lost count,"

"23 weeks since yesterday, old man," I smiled proudly as I began to cut out a piece of the omelette.

"Wow – she's growing pretty fast, isn't she?"

"She sure is," I wrapped my arms around my bump tenderly before looking up at him, "hey, thanks – for being so cool about all this. Most dads would've freaked the fuck out if he came home to a knocked up daughter."

Mike laughed. "I think I used up all my freak-out when you were born, kiddo – not that I'm proud of it," he scratched the back of his neck nervously, "but, of course, Laura. I'm happy for you & Harry. Even if right now's not exactly the best time for a baby, the way Harry's so rapt about both you and your daughter...shows me how much he really loves you – and I couldn't possibly ask for more than that."