Breaking Point

They are exhausted.

Dark circles are heavy beneath bloodshot eyes. Eyes itch because they are so dry. Everything is uncomfortable, and everything is wrong.

They are so very tired.

And they are so very angry.

At circumstances. At love. At each other.

                        ~~~~~~~~

At practice the boys are slow, sleep pulling at their legs and their minds.

Kageyama fails at a jump serve, his legs not jumping high enough, and his hand not hitting hard enough.

Hinata turns around and scoffs.

And Kageyama, his mind clouded and slow, says the first thing that comes to mind.

"Go suck a dick."

Hinata, depressed and exhausted, also says the first thing that comes into his mind.

"Yeah well you missed your fucking chance," he said quietly enough so Kageyama couldn't hear what was said exactly.

"What?" Kageyama venomously spat.

"I said, FAT CHANCE," Hinata yelled so Kageyama definitely heard him.

Anger had begun to flood the gym. The team could swim in the tension that was growing.

But they didn't know what to do.

                          ~~~~~~~~

Sugawara had a mission. While Kageyama and Hinata practiced spiking, he had to figure out what had happened. The insults being thrown between the two had become very real and possibly hurtful, unlike most days. It had the whole team asking questions.

But only one person had some of the truth.

"W-well yesterday they met up, it seemed very serious like, so I left them alone, but once Hinata met up with me he didn't talk at all," Yachi explained to the team huddle that was oblivious to Hinata and Kageyama.

"As we all are aware, Hinata and Kageyama like each other," Sugawara stated in an authoritative voice. The whole team nodded in sync.

"We are also all aware, I have set the building blocks of their relationship down with a brilliant plan," the team nodded twice in sync.

"So... What the heckie has gone wrong," the whole team shrugged.

(Except for Daichi who was having a heart attack, because who the "heckie" gave Suga the right to be so goddamn cute.)

"YEAH WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD SHUT UP, EGOTISTICAL KING."

The whole team quickly turned their heads to watch everything break.

                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kageyama could feel himself getting faster and faster, but he couldn't stop. It felt so good to finally do something right.

And then he heard it. The sickening thud of the ball not meeting the spiker's hand, but it meeting the floor instead.

Kageyama's head whipped around and was met with the kindred expression of fear and worry on Hinata's face.

"I-It was... too fast," Hinata stuttered.

Kageyama's worried expression quickly turned to anger, because it's not his fault Hinata wasn't fast enough. It's Hinata's. He should take better care of himself.

"How about speeding up then, huh?" Kageyama ordered.

He got an icy glare in return.

And to Hinata's defense, he did. He picked up his pace in order to meet Kageyama, but between the small amount of sleep he got and the depressed state he was in, he couldn't keep it up.

Kageyama heard the sickening sound once again. He spun around to met with the image of Hinata with his hands on his knees, breathing hard.

"What happened to your unbreakable will to wi-" Kageyama began to laugh.

"YEAH WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD SHUT UP, EGOTISTICAL KING," Hinata screamed at the floor, his eyes closed tight.

Kageyama just stared as everything around him started falling apart. The ground in front of him broke into a chasm, separating him from Hinata. It was a sight he thought he got used to, but with Hinata on the other side everything was different.

Because no. No, no, no. He could lose anyone else, everyone else, but not Hinata. Without him Kageyama never would have understood what a team really was, without him he wouldn't be here, without Hinata he definitely would have quit volleyball.

So he reached out a hand. So he could grab Hinata and bring him back. So he could have Hinata and never, ever let him go.

But he remembered that he couldn't have Hinata. That Hinata had walked away from him, from them. So fear and anger began to cloud his better judgement, and in the heat of the moment, the hand that was there to bring Hinata closer pushed Hinata to the ground.

Kageyama's mind was numb with fear and his blood boiled as he saw Hinata's angry face become a face of fear. Kageyama's hands and lips trembled as he glared at the boy on the floor.

"Just remember who made you as great as you are now. You are nothing without me. You need me," Kageyama's voice shook.

And Hinata's mind went blank, because that is exactly what he was trying to tell Kageyama in the beginning. He needs Kageyama like he needs air, like fish need water, like birds need wings to fly.

He needs Kageyama.

Hinata thought that after last night that his tears would be spent, but he realized he was wrong as tears began to run down his cheeks. And as if just being in Kageyama's presence burned him, he ran. He ran out of the gym and he kept running. Because that is apparently all he can do.

He runs.

Kageyama shakes. He takes a step back as if to stable himself from the shock of what he had just done. The last thing he ever wanted to do was make Hinata cry.

"You are an idiot," Yachi whispers loud enough so it echoes in the quiet, deadly quiet gym. She runs off to find Hinata.

And Kageyama has to agree.

He really is an idiot.

~~~~~~~~

I still haven't finished my homework but you guys are so sweet that I wanted to give you another chapter.

Of hurt.

Wow I suck.