Confusion

They're fine.

Tosses are connecting and spikes are being hit exactly where Hinata wants them to go. Kageyama is able to see the court clearer than ever before, seeing where people are, how fast they're going, and where the ball is with ease. Volleyball has never been better.

That's what Kageyama thinks until he sees Hinata's smile. Yes, Hinata is smiling again. The same smile that puts Kageyama in a warm, sleepy, comfortable daze. But it's not directed at him. Never him.

'But if that's the price to pay for an amazing volleyball then it's worth it.'

The mantra ran through his head again, and again, and again, relentless. But each time he saw Hinata's smile his brain stutters and he can't agree.

He'd rather have volleyball never exist at all if it meant seeing Hinata's smile directed at him one more time.

But then he reprimands himself. And the endless cycle of volleyball and smiles turns, and turns, and turns in his head as he slowly sinks into turmoil.

They're fine.

But Kageyama isn't.

Because that smile that had created beautiful serenity before but now is creating insane chaos is not directed at him.

And Kageyama wonders two things.

1. What did he do wrong?

And

2. When the hell did Hinata and Yachi become so close?

                          ~~~~~~~~

Just a short thing I wrote quickly while at New Orleans. I'll try to update soon but I have a fair coming up in the next week.