Chapter Twelve ~ Someone New

Nicole POV:

"You have one night. I'll give you a chance. Don't you dare mess it up. You show the littlest bit of something that will cause my suspicion, and you're out. To the cops. Forever." I told him.
He nodded.
"I'll be good." He mumbled.
"You better. You've already betrayed your friends once," I turned to him.
"Don't do it again. You're lucky we're still here."
Craig nodded.
"Soon we won't be."
"Give him a chance." Tyler sighed.
"He doesn't deserve one." My brother nodded.
"If there's one thing I believe in by now," I told Evan.
"It's second chances."
He shrugged.
I sighed as I walked back into the baby's room, holding Riley.
"The only reason you're alive is due to a second chance." Luke whispered once I shut the door.
I sighed.
"I know,"
"Nicole, what if you had drowned that day? What if you died of depression? What if that car or truck had hit you? Or Marilyn killed you? With Riley inside of you, the whole time
You could've had a miscarriage due to the stress. There were countless times where I'd almost lost you, and Riley, you could've slipped through my fingers..." Luke had my face in his hands.
"Luke, but you didn't. Like you said, I had a second chance. I've been given that for a reason. It's obvious that I have to live. Someone is preparing me for something, and I know it." I said.
"And with him in our house. He's responsible for her being loose, love." He said.
I nodded.
"People change..."
"Niki, seasons change, but people don't." He said to me.
"Then explain how Delilah is how she is, anyway." I told him.
He looked at me, speechless.
"Exactly." I said.
"If she touches Riley, we're not letting her out of our sight. Do you hear me? We will find her and do whatever we can to. We will look for her for the rest of our life if we have to." He mumbled.
I nodded.
He rested a hand on my shoulder and I placed my hand on his.
"It was only two years ago that we had no clue we even existed." I whispered.
He sighed.
He picked me up and set me down in his lap after plopping on the bed.
Riley was now in my arms and me in his.
"It was only two years ago that Jonathan and I were both alone and miserable." He whispered back.
"I was, too. And Evan. Evan was depressed. I was lonely. And Tyler had the eyes for Mini. His best friend. And Mini luckily returned them back, but before that, they were both lonely as well. We all once were." I said.
"And Lui. Poor buddy." He said.
I nodded.
"Poor David." I sighed.
"Brian lost Skylar. And then he just got right back up. Keegan took her, so I guess he wanted revenge, so he took the next best option- Marilyn." He said.
I shrugged.
"I have hope in Marilyn. Nobody else does, but I can see right through her. She makes it difficult sometimes though." I told him.
He was confused.
"Niki, he shot your brother and almost killed your brother in law. She stabbed you in the shoulder and threatened you from the beginning. Now she's after your baby. What can you possibly see?" He asked.
"Luke, she's hurt, I know how she f-"
"Don't say that. You drowned. You went through shit, but you aren't that crazy. She's lost her damn mind. And she needs to straighten up." He told me.
I nodded.
"She just needs help. She's struggling."
He sighed.
"When she goes to ther-"
"NICOLE, LUKE." Evan ran into the room.
"What's wrong?"
"Macie is gone. We're looking for her, but we haven't found anything.
We called her, but she didn't answer. Lui said he hasn't seen her, she went to the store last night with Kayle."
Evan said.
"Kayle's gone, too?" I asked, panicked.
He nodded.
"Luke. Stay here with Riley. I know the works of danger by now." I said.
He nodded.
"Be safe." I heard him whisper.
I nodded.
"I love you."
"I love you, too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"KAYLE? MACIE!"
All of us except for Luke were shouting for the missing mother and son.
We drove to the store and looked inside, but they weren't there. So obviously they had to be outside.
Lui was an emotional wreck right now, and David was trying to keep him calm, but Lui couldn't sit still.
"KAYLE? BABY BOY?! WHERE ARE YOU, SON?!" He yelled out.
"Daddy."
The small little boy ran up to us, covered in dirt and mud.
He had scrapes on his knees and a bruise on his back.
"Kayle. Thank God."
Lui was crying now, the boy tight in his arms, scared to death.
"Where's Mommy?" Lui asked.
"Mommy's gone." The little boy's innocent eyes glared into his father's and Lui almost broke down ont his knees again.
David took his side, paranoid that he'd drop Kayle. But he wouldn't.
"Mommy's gone? How?" Lui asked, shaking in anger and sorrow.
"We went to the bathroom in the store Okay? Daddy, she said she'd wait right beside the doorway. She said she wouldn't leave without me until I did my buisness. So I did." His voice sounded majorly of confusion and hurt.
"Then, when I got out the stall, she was gone. And I looked in the other stalls and bathrooms. I looked in the store, so I went outside. She was being loaded into the car and then, I yelled "Mommy, mommy!", but someone pushed me down. And they called me a kid. They left with her in the back, and she was scared. I heard Mommy screaming. So I thought maybe they're her friends going to the spa or something and I'd wait outside for Mommy to come back. So I played in the dirt." He said.
"Take Kayle. Please." Lui told me and I picked the small boy up.
Lui hesitated and then, before David could catch him, he fell to his knees, crying.
Not even Tyler complained about his loud sobs as he gripped his chest together like he was falling apart. Like I had that one day. Like I'd seen Evan do many times while Delirious was "asleep."
David had Lui in his lap, his arms wrapped around him, rocking him.
Craig walked over to them and put his hand on Lui's shoulder.
"Kayle." I whispered to the little boy.
"Yes, Aunt Niki?" He asked.
"What did the truck look like? It's important." I asked.
He shook his head.
"It wasn't a truck."
"What did the car look like?" I asked.
"It had a fold down roof." He said.
I was confused.
"This isn't Delilah." I looked at Hannah.
She agreed.
"Or Keegan. Or any of the hitman. They don't have cars." I was so confused.
"You're right." She agreed.
"Then who is this?" Delirious asked me.
"This has to be someone new."