(10) Adopted.. or Not?

Chapter 10 (Hannah’s POV)

‘”The story of my life, I’ll take her home, I’ll drive all night until she’s warm and time is froze, the story of my life, I give her hope, I spend her love until she’s broke inside, the story of my life” What better way to wake up than have 5 sexy boys singing to you? Well not literally but you know what I mean. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, it felt good to sleep for quite a long time considering how much work I’ve been doing. It was 11am and I seriously needed to hurry up, I planned to visit my parents today because I haven’t seen them for a long time. Well I’ve seen my Dad but I miss my Mum way too much! I jumped in the shower, cleaned myself with my favourite berry scented shampoo and hopped out after wrapping a towel around myself. It was quite cold today for some reason. Stupid London’s weather is always unpredictable. I picked out a grey off the shoulder Meow top, blue jeans and my grey uggs. I put my hair into a bun and put on some kitty cat earrings just to match the cat look. I don’t usually wear necklaces because I always have the locket (that Nate gave me) on. I put on some eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss. I grabbed my phone and my credit card and left.

I went outside to the parking lot and everyone seemed to be gathering around there, I pushed my way through the crowd to see what the commotion was about. Once I stepped out in front, my jaw dropped. I saw my new car trashed. I was pissed about what they did and how badly my new car was ruined but one thing stood out the most. A message was written on it: ‘Adopted spoilt little brat’ and my eyes started tearing up. I’m not adopted! Where the heck did they get that from? Just because I’m rich doesn’t mean I’m spoilt. People were sending me pity looks but what for? I’M NOT ADOPTED. I wanted to scream that out to them but didn’t have the energy to do so.  I ran away from the scene and collapsed into tears on my bed. Who did that? Why would they do that? I’m not adopted and I’m not spoilt!

I decided to call my parents to clear this all out once and for all.

“Hello” My mother’s sweet voice answered the phone.
“Am I adopted?” I said I didn’t want to mess about; I just wanted a straight answer.
“Uh no honey! Whe-where did you hear that from?” She stuttered.
“Then why do you sound so unsure?” I questioned.
“Hello?” My Dad was on the line. Typical of my Mum, run away when things get hard.
“Am I adopted?” I repeated once again.
“Yes darling you are” He sighed and I could imagine him running his hands over his face.
“Why didn’t you tell me?” I started tearing up.
“Look baby girl we-“
“Don’t call me baby girl”
“We didn’t tell you because we thought it wasn’t necessary. We thought you wouldn’t find out from anywhere because nobody knew about you except the Smiths as they’re our best friends. We’re deeply sorry Hannah, we still love you as our daughter, in fact we only adopted you because we couldn’t have any children and you were the cutest person alive. Hannah, your Mother and I are extremely sorry, please forgive us”

I hung up straight after, not wanting to hear any more of their bullshit. I guess I won’t be going to see my parents after this. I still couldn’t believe that I was adopted and nobody considered telling me. I mean if they did, yeah I would probably be mad for a while but I’d eventually get over it but no, they decided not to tell me and I found out from someone else. I became even more shocked when I remembered what my Dad said; he said the Smiths knew, meaning Noah and Cassidy knew? Was that why they were so shocked when they found out I was Steve and Maria’s daughter? Why did they hide it from me? I sighed and just wished the ground would swallow me up whole. I can’t believe this. I’m adopted? Why? Why did my real parents give me up? Why? So many why’s, but not one answer.

A knock interrupted me from my thoughts. I groaned and yelled “Go away!” but obviously that person didn’t listen. They walked right in and slammed the door shut; I still didn’t turn to face whoever it was because I’m pretty sure I looked a mess. My hair was probably all over the place, my mascara would be running down my cheeks, my face would be red blotchy, no way was I ready to see my face or show it to anyone. Whoever that person was getting closer because I could hear their footsteps.