Chapter 1

© WrittingNinja 2011-2012 "The Reaper's Keeper"

Chapter 1 - Mood Killer

     12 years later

     "Chug, Chug, Chug!" The crowd chanted as I watched Mason down as much Dr. Pepper as he could. The sight made me want to gag a bit... good thing I decided on soda for my 18th birthday instead of listening to Jane and bringing beer.

     As Jane came to mind I realized she has been missing for the past hour. Where was that girl at now? I watched as the crowd cheered and Mason stood up in victory. He had managed to down five 2 litters in just over an hour. I sadly had to clean up the mess that was all over my new apartment after this party.

     "You're staying after to help clean up you know that right?" I said as I passed Mason. Mason is my very close friend. We dated back in the day, but it never really worked out. He had sandy colored hair that just went past his eyes and deep green eyes that made any girl's heart melt. "If I say no, you'll drug me and make me clean anyways!" He said in a joking matter. I laughed and then went on my way to find Jane.

     Jane was another one of my close friends. No, we did not date... We are not like that. She has always been like a sister to me. I moved to this town when I was 6. My mother wanted me away from my grandmother and this was as far as we could go. I was never one to make friends easily... I was the shy girl. She was the only one that continued to talk with me until I was forced to become her friend. I'm glad she did that. Through her, I became one of the most popular girls in the school, but as we got older... she became known as the School's Who*e.

     "Jane?" I called out over the blasting music. I swear the cops will show up any minute! I slightly wish they would... I can't take anymore of this party. I walked down the hall and knocked on the bedroom door. "Jane Sanders! Are you in there?"  snapped, knowing she most likely was. I could sense it. haha...

     As if on cue, Jane opened the door and gave her a disapproving look. Of course a guy came up behind her and walked right past us, not even giving Jane a second glance. I bet he was a happy camper. "Jane what have I told you about this?" I hated sounding like her mother...

     Jane flipped her blond hair over her shoulder. "Sorry mother dear, I just can't help myself at a party." She sneered, but I could see the laughter in her eyes. "Well Jane, I think this party is over." I walked out to the living room and shut off the music, earning glares from the crowd of people in my apartment. "Party's over!" I announced, earning more huffs of annoyance than awes of disappointment.

     The room was suddenly lit up with the flashing red and blue lights that most of us all knew to well. "The Cops! Everyone out quickly!" Someone shouted. the whole crowd ran out of the appartment quickly, wishing me a happy 18th birthday quickly on their way out. I thanked them and then looked at Jane. I noticed Mason try to get away so I grabbed him and drug him into the room. "Not so fast Chugington." He huffed, but laughed as well.

     Mason and Jane started on the cleaning while I got us out of trouble with the police. "I'm sorry sir, it won't happen again!" I promised, waving and smiling as the officers left in their cars. I gave a sigh of relief and shut the door, locking it. I then turned to see that my friends had gotten most of the cleaning done. "Thanks Jane, Mason." I said with a smile on my face.

     They turned to look at me, smiles on their faces. "No problem." They answered in unison.

     After everything was done with, I put in a movie called, "His Scarlet Rose". It was about a Reaper that fell in love with a human. Wow. They were really running out of movie ideas now a days. As my friends and I watched the movie, I couldn't shake off the feeling that someone was watching me.

     More importantly... I couldn't shake off the feeling that something bad was about to happen.

     The phone rang from the kitchen and I grumbled. This movie was just getting gory! I stood up and told my friends I'd be back before walking into the kitchen. I picked up the phone as the answering machine picked up. "Hello?" I asked, getting no response right away. "Who is this?" I didn't recognize the number.

     "Evalyn Trinity?" A male's voice asked on the other side of the line. That bad feeling I had before started to gnaw at me more. "Y-Yes?" I stuttered. This wasn't going to be a nice conversation, I could tell.

     "Miss Trinity, this is Officer Williams from the Jacksonville Police Department. We have some bad news for you ma'am." I froze, eyes wide. Bad news? the only people I knew that lived in Jacksonville, Florida were...

     My eyes went to their full size and I dropped the phone. No, this couldn't be happening! The only people that I knew lived there... Were my Parents!

     "Hello? Miss Trinity?" I heard the soft echoes of the officer's voice from the phone, but everything around me seemed so distant now. Something bad happened to my parents? The last thing I told them was 'I won't be seeing ya!'

     "Hello? Hello?" The voice continued to echo around me. Were they alright? I knew they weren't... For some reason I just knew that would be last words I said to them. "I'm coming for you..." A voice said in my head, making me freak out. Please just tell me that was y imagination!

     "Evalyn!" the urgent voice of my friend Jane brought me back. She had her hands on my shoulders, a worried look on her face. "Breath Evalyn! What's going on?" I could feel the tears stinging the back of my eyes. This souldn't be happening... My parents were all I had left of my family!

     I saw Mason put the phone up to his ear. "Hello? Who is this?" His concerned face turned to one of confusion. Then he looked at me with a look of pity. I hated that look! "Oh, She's alright... I tell her. Thank you officer, have a nice night." Then he put the phone away. "Jane, Eva's parents are... Well they've passed on." I saw Jane's face fade into one of pity, just like Mason's. I couldn't take this anymore... the pity looks, the overwhelming sadness of my parents' passing, so you can't blame me for what I did next.

     I Let it all out. All over my friend's shoes, and my once barf free floor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aww... So sad! I feel a bit sorry for Evalyn! But shh! don't tell her that! she hates getting pity from people. xD

anyway, I would like to thank EVERYONE who took the time to read my story and voted for it!

I would really love to thank AuroraBlackwood for being the first to add this to her reading list! It means a lot to me!

This story will be going on a bit slowly... but I am trying to get in long chapters instead of my usual one and a half chapter then the author's note. (I know you guys hate that stuff!) I know this one was a bit short, but the next one should be longer!

I saw a lot of people liked the Prologue! I'm glad to see that and I hope this wasn't a disappointment! Evalyn was about 6 when that happened and now she's 18 so you won't see that cute scene much more...

Well, I love the support you guys! This is one of my Watty Awards 2012 entries so the votes are helping me a lot! If you like this story then please share it with others! I'd really love that! If you want a banner (Like the one on the sidebar for the Prologue) That links to the story, then just shoot me a PM and I'll have the code for you right away!

CAST CALLS! Who do you think would make a good Evalyn Trinity, Mason and Jane?

Evalyn has brown hair by the way.. forgot to mention that. oops... xDD

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Mason's a real sweetheart!

Until next Sunday!