Chapter 5

© WrittingNinja 2011-2012 "The Reaper's Keeper"

Watty Awards 2012

Please support!

Chapter Five

Kuro... He was on my mind all day today. What he said really threw me off thought. "You haven't changed..." Is what he said. Those words continued to run through my mind, wondering what he could have meant. He made it sound like he's known me for a long time. That isn't possible... I Just figured out what I am. Has he been watching me this whole time?

A shudder went through me at that thought. I was definitely getting that creeper vibe from him now. A more horrific thought went through my mind. If he has been watching me this whole time... then does that mean he's watched my every movement? Like when I use the shower? I mentally gagged. I'm so going to kick him in the family jewels if he has been peeping on me.

"Evalyn!" Jane's stern voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "What?" I said dumbly. She rolled her eyes at me, giving me another stern look. "What is wrong with you today? You were sitting there with a deep thoughtful look on your face, then you went pale. Did you forget what we are here for?" I sighed, knowing we were at Middleton High to support Mason at his Baseball game. "Sorry... Distracted."

Jane gave me another eye roll before turning back to the game. We were sitting in the bleachers, right up front so we could see everything closely. Today was the finals, and our local baseball team had made it this far. I was suppose to be here cheering for Mason, the Pitcher and team captain, but my mind has been focused on Kuro since last night.

Jane suddenly jumped up from her seat, yelling at the umpire. "That was a strike! How can you call it a ball?!" She snapped, getting glares from the other team. I sighed, looking over at my to energetic friend. "Jane, sit down!" Jane huffed, but obeyed my command. "I swear when I get my hands on that ump..." She trailed off in her grumbling. It was my turn to roll my eyes. When they landed on a familiar dark haired boy, I got a weird feeling in my gut.

Zane walked over to us, smiling that perfect, white smile of his. "Is this seat taken?" He asked, motioning towards the empty seat next to me. I shook my head, but Jane quickly told him yes. Zane gave us confused looks. "Well... I decided to come by and see if Mason was good at anything else... And I would really like to sit with people I know..." He gave a cute, puppy dog look that made my heart melt. Jane awed before pushing me over into the empty seat.

Zane gave me a sympathetic look before taking my original seat next to Jane. I glared at my friend, knowing that this crush of hers might go to far.

I turned my attention to the game, ignoring the flirting that Jane was doing with Zane. I watched as Mason took his stance at the pitcher's mound. He was well built, a perfect tanned body that glowed when he would sweat. His eyes seemed to still shine even with a dark green cap covering them. The way his dark green and white uniform was snuggled to his body made him look just plain out gorgeous. He was worth the water that now filled my gaping mouth.

Zane shoved into my side pretty roughly then. I turned to glare at him, but he was giving that look again. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to do that..." He said quietly. I could see the slight sarcasm in his eyes, but he covered it quickly. I sighed, nodding to him. Zane smiled a bit to smugly for my liking before turning back to Jane. I don't like this guy.

I watched as Mason threw the pitch. The ball went through the air, spinning towards the batter before the bat and ball made perfect contact. The ball soared through the air, over Mason's head and towards the open gap in the outfield. The batter now became the runner, running as if he were being chased by a beast to first base. The ball was quickly caught on the ground, then thrown towards second base. The Runner was already on his way to third. I watched as the sand came up with the runner's cleats, making it seem as if he were running like the wind. The ball was now being thrown to Mason, while the runner made his way for a home run.

Mason quickly turned towards the home plate, making a swift dash for it. The catcher was else where, but that wasn't going to stop Mason apparently. The sweat beaded off of him, making him glow in the sunlight that now covered his face from the fallen cap. His muscles bunched as he ran towards the plate, ball in hand. He flung himself towards the plate, reaching his muscled arms outward towards it, just as the runner went to slid for it. I heard the crowd go quiet as the dust arose from the field like a curtain.

The umpire waited for the dust to clear, watching every movement that might be made from the home plate. The silence was killing the crowd. I never took my eyes off of home plate, wondering if Mason had gotten the runner out.

As the dust cleared, I heard Zane chuckle from my side. He was still flirting with Jane. Wow... and she told me to pay attention. I heard the crowd gasp in horror as the umpire quickly shouted out commands to surrounding coaches.

After seeing this, I wanted to pass out from shock. How could something like this happen at a baseball game? Was baseball that dangerous? All I saw was blood, and then saw how twisted Mason's arm was underneath the Runner's leg. I wanted to gag at the sight, but I ended up screaming in horror.

While I was freaking out for our now injured friend, I couldn't help but feel angry as Zane just smirked at the sight, then turned to flirt with Jane again. what made me disgusted was she flirted back instead of worrying about Mason.

the next thing I knew, I was running onto the field. I didn't care about who tried to stop me. I had to get to my screaming friend and try to calm him down. someone had to stay calm, and I didn't expect Jane to stop her flirting session to help Mason. It was just me... And at the moment, i really hated Jane and Zane.