Chapter 4

© WrittingNinja 2011-2012 "The Reaper's Keeper"

Watty Awards 2012

Please support if you like the story!

Chapter Four

     "Chug, Chug, Chug!" I groaned at the familiarity of this. Every time we came to this cafe, someone would challenge Mason to see who could drink the most. This time was no different. I watched as Mason drank a 5 gallon bowl of pickle juice. I tried to warn him about how sick he would get, but he didn't listen to me. He never did.

     The boy that challenged him this time was clearly new in town. He had black hair that went just above his bright silver eyes. He was well built, a few muscles that were shown through his black t-shirt, and his butt was very edible in those dark gray skinny jeans.

     I shook myself from my thoughts. Get it together Evalyn! You shouldn't be checking out some guy like that! I scolded myself and Jane nudged me in the side. "Think you should stop drooling? He might stop smirking at you if you do." She snickered, making me blush as I realized she was right. The boy was staring right at me, smirking as he drank the last drops of the juice. He slammed his bowl on the table, turning his smirk on Mason now. I felt the blood rush from my cheeks in relief.

     Mason put his bowl down and smiled. He was always a good sport. He held out his hand towards the boy and they shook hands. "You are the first to beat me." Mason said a bit sadly. The boy chuckled deeply. "Well I'm glad you aren't as cocky as most others are. I'm Zane by the way, Zane Richards." Mason smiled a bit more brightly. "My name's Mason. Nice to meet you Zane."

     Then it was Jane's cue. "Ooo! Zane, what a strange name. I like it!" She said to Zane, giving him a flirty smile. I simply rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest.

     Mason walked over to me and gave the 'I know what you're thinking' look. I sighed and nodded to him. This wasn't going to be entertaining much longer. I simply turned around and started walking away with Mason.

     "Hey! You never told me your name." Zane called after me. I turned around slightly and sighed. "Evalyn." I said simply then turned and walked out of the cafe. I could feel his eyes on me, and I didn't like the feeling I was getting from this guy.

     I just hope things don't turn out bad.

-------------

     I was now back in my own apartment. I couldn't help feeling confused. I decided to bond with the Reaper, and I had no idea how to do it. I wasn't raised on my ancestor's ways, so all of this was new to me. Heck, I thought I was a normal kid for most of my life! I thought my grandmother's stories were just fairy-tales... That's what my parents wanted me to believe.

     Now I lie here, on my bed's cold sheets, wondering about the trouble I might be getting into. What would happen if I bonded to the Reaper? I knew I would become his Keeper, but what was I supposed to do exactly? I sighed and looked towards the window. The moon was a perfect crescent, and there were only a few smoky clouds covering the sky.

     My sleepy thoughts were interrupted by a chuckle. The shivers down my spine froze me in fear, and I didn't want to turn around. Does he know I'm planning to become his Keeper? Is that why he's here, to prevent that from happening?

     I slowly turned my head towards the chuckle, and saw him. He stood there in the all to cliché cloak and that dark aura coming off of him. The only thing I realized was that his cloak was different this time, and by that... I mean way scarier than before.

     I watched as his cloak swirled around like smoke. Each swirl had a face, a ghostly face that sent sorrow through my veins. There were so many of them, so many screams of pain and torture, so many helpless cries of help that humans would never hear, so many forgotten souls that this Reaper had claimed.

     After seeing this, I instantly become angry. I don't know why, but something about this made me want to rip this Reaper to shreds! I glared at his shadowed face and he only chuckled. "I had a feeling you were still up, Steak." I glared more intensely at him and sat up in bed. "What have you been doing?" I asked sternly. Great, now I feel like his mother.

     "The usual... Reaping souls that never had a chance in this world." He said casually, stepping closer to my bed. I stayed still, not intimated by him anymore. If I was to become his Keeper, then I couldn't let him scare me. "So why are you here?"

     The Reaper looked at me. I could just picture the small smirk on his face. "Well?" I said impatiently. He chuckled. "Oh, I wanted to see if you were going to become my Keeper or not. By the way you got angry moments ago, I now know your answer.”

     I didn't even notice how close to me he was. He must have been inching his way towards me during our conversation. He pinned me down to my bed and then leaned towards my face. I could feel his cold breath on my face, but couldn't see his own face. I gulped slightly, not wanting to know what he planned to do. He was going to kill me... I just knew it! This was it; I was going to die... Jane and Mason would come and find me dead on my bed.

     I braced myself for the last blow, and was surprised by a chuckle. I opened one eye slightly and looked up at his shadowed face. "You haven't changed..." He said casually. He leaned down and stopped right above my forehead. I could feel him tense up before he let me go and walked away.

     "Reaper?" He turned and looked at me as I sat up. I gave him the strangest of looks. What the... He must have been screwing with my head! "Please, just call me... Kuro." I nodded. "Fine, Kuro." I nodded as he did and watched as he left my room.

     I knew it... He was screwing with my mind.