Prologue

He brushes a strand of hair out of my eyes and leans in, brushing his lips to mine. the fading light of the summer afternoon casts shadows on our faces. I lean towards him, eager for his touch. His lips are soft on mine and his hands tangle in my hair. Then, he freezes. I pull away to see his eyes wide with terror, his face contorting with pain. The veins in his neck bulge as he struggles for breath. I scream for help, but no one comes. He slumps out of the porch seat, on his back. I stand over him, terrified. My reflection stares up at me from his glassy eyes. His dead eyes.

“What have I done?” I whisper then I scream, “WHAT HAVE I DONE?”

I stumble down the steps, falling onto his lawn the grass dies around my hands. Turning brown and crumbly forming perfect handprints, my handprints. I get up and back away holding my hands in front of my face. I turn and run. I run into my home, where I’ve lived with my adoptive parents for fifteen years. My dog licks my leg in greeting, but I run into the kitchen where my mum is cooking. I fall into her arms sobbing. Through my tears I see my dog fall to the ground and I scream, frantically backing away from my mum. She struggles to breath, confusion mixed with fear as she falls to the ground.

I run from the house, hearing the screen door slam behind me as tears pour down my face. MY summer dress swishes around my legs as my feet pound the still warm pavement of the streets. I've run far into the dusk, the street lights have started to turn on and I'm completely lost when I feel the harsh white of car headlights on my back. I slow, at first I think it’s the police. Are they going to arrest me for murder? That’s what I am, a murderer. A man gets out; he’s made of shadows, definitely no police officer. He runs after me, grabbing my arm. I pull away.

“NO, don’t touch me!” He grabs ahold, but does not start to die. “Who are you?” He looks pained.

“I’m your father.”