Chapter 8

© WrittingNinja 2011-2012 "The Reaper's Keeper"

     Chapter 8 - The Night I became his Keeper

   -------------------------------------------------------------------------

     I watched as Zane and Jane left the hospital room. They didn't even glance at the wavering shadow in the corner of the room... guess I was the only one that noticed him.

     Once I saw their shadows leave the light behind from under the door, I turned to Kuro. He stood there, arms crossed over his chest and looking at me. "That was a bit harsh Evalyn..." He said almost like he cared. I only huffed, taking my place beside Mason's bed once more. "Why do you care?"

     Kuro was silent, unmoving. He seemed to be caught in his own thoughts. After a moment, he finally heard me. "I don't care." He said defensively, making his way over to my chair. He lazily dropped his arms over my shoulders, hands dangling over my stomach. The action made me tense up.

     Kuro, as if sensing my sudden discomfort, chuckled. "Don't worry... I'm not going to do anything..." He said quietly, looking at Mason. It didn't help that he seemed to tense up, watching Mason like a predator.I moved his arms away, flinging them back at him. "If you're here to annoy me further, please leave." I said, my voice cracking with tears that threatened to slip past.

     Kuro was again, silent. He just stood behind me, arms at his sides. I could feel his eyes on me, but didn't care. I somehow already knew what the problem was. "You can't have him." I said quietly. Kuro sighed, rubbing the back of his head awkwardly. "Well... I know that... I just can't stand being near this guy..." He said, annoyance in his voice.

     The sudden mood swing made me turn to face him. "Well then I guess this means you can't stick around. I'm not ditching Mason because of some stupid legend that's most likely not real." I spat, glaring at him and turning back to Mason.

     "I bet you're enjoying this huh?" Kuro's voice said under his breath. I turned to snap at him, but I don't think he was talking to me. He was looking right at Mason, and by his stiff stance, I could tell he was angry. "Knock it off. I bet it's your fault he's in here in the first place!" I snapped, standing from my seat.

     Kuro looked at me, growling like an animal. "You don't believe in the Reaper's Keeper legend?" He chuckled, stepping closer to me. "Well then, how do you explain the sudden death of your parents?" He got me there. He hit a nerve that I'd been trying to hide for a while now. "I can't explain it..." I said honestly, quietly.

     Kuro nodded, chuckling again. "That's what I thought." He said, walking past me and over to Mason's bed. "I can help him..." He said a bit darkly, making me wonder the true meaning behind his words. I watched as Kuro loomed over Mason's body.

     "But..." Kuro started, causing geese to prick at my skin as I heard him words drip through a smirk. "B-But what?" I stumbled, showing my sudden fear of Kuro. He looked at me, turning his head slowly in my direction. "I'm not strong enough to help him, so you must bond to me."

     I could feel the ice crawl up my spine at his sudden hungry tone. I stepped  back, but Kuro only matched me by stepping forward. He had larger steps than I did. "I-I don't know how... Isn't there a way to-" "No" He suddenly cut me off. He stepped even closer to me. "There isn't another way..." He said more gently. "I'll show you..." He said, reaching for my face.

     I droppedinto panic, slapping his hand away from me and turning to run. He was too quick though. He slammed his body against mine, causing my stomach to hit the wall with a great force. The crack of my head hitting the wall made me realize I was now Kuro's prey. I struggled against his grip, pushing against the wall to try and push him away, he was stronger.

     Again, I met the wall in front of me. He gripped onto my wrists and growled, hungry. "You shouldn't have done something so foolish.." He whispered into my ear. I was to focused on the black dots in my vision to really understand what he was saying. "G-Get away... from me..." I managed to say, keeping my head up right.

     I was suddenly spun around, now facing the darkened face of Kuro. "I'm sorry... Areial..." He said with a genuine, concerned voice. I could feel my head suddenly get lighter than a feather. I didn't know what I was doing. It felt like I no longer was in control, but a mere bystander watching from a distant darkness within myself. "A-Az... Ra... El..." I didn't understand anymore. I just watched as Kuro moved forward, his touch now gentle as he held me to him.

     His breath warmed my lips, causing me to close my eyes and just wait for his lips to meet mine. The soft skin of his lips gently brushed against my own. I, on instinct and out of habit, wrapped my arms around Kuro's neck. I brought him closer to me, just as he wrapped his arms gently around my waist.

     After a moment of just a sweet kiss, he pulled away. I didn't open my eyes. I didn't want to. I didn't want to see the face of my Reaper. It might ruin me. I was now finding myself lost in memories. Things I couldn't understand. I didn't know what had happened. "Kuro..." I said, keeping my eyes closed. Not yet... Please not yet...

     "Evalyn..." Kuro's soft voice seemed to relax me. "I'll help him... and I'll never be to far away now... My Keeper." He said, placing me down gently on the chair. I found myself falling asleep, never wanting to open my eyes and see the true face of my Reaper. I felt his soft lips press against my hot forehead. "Good Night... Mistress." he said, leaving after speaking a few words over Mason's body.

    And that was it... Kuro was now my Reaper, and now... I, Evalyn Trinity, was his Keeper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well? What questions do you guys have now? xDDD I bet a lot.

Please support this story if you like it! It's in the Watty Awards 2012 for Fantasy!!! Help me out! Nearly at 1,000 reads!!! yay!!