Chapter 14

© WrittingNinja 2012 “The Reaper’s Keeper”

Chapter 14

                The tense air made it hard to breath. I asked him a simple question, so why hasn’t he answered yet? I decided that I needed to ask again, just make sure he knew how serious I was. “Kuro, have you seen Jane?” I asked again. I got the same response, silence. He had his back to me, looking out the window of the room we were in. He had stood up a while ago claiming he was tired of lying down.

                There was something in his eyes… the way he stood… something was off about him. His shoulders were tense and held up close to his neck. He was almost hunched over and pale looking. The way he looked over every person that walked by made me shudder. He looked at them as if he were hungry… That’s when it hit me. He was hungry. “Kuro, what’s your problem? Is there’s something wrong?” I asked, knowing it already. I just wanted to make sure I was right before I tried anything.

                Kuro didn’t tear his eyes away from the busy street. He still held that gaze in his eyes. This was starting to annoy me. I had to get his attention. Maybe I should just try one thing at a time. The subject of Jane going missing was still important. Did she fit into this somehow? Mason turned out to be an Angel, maybe she was one too? Was that why she disappeared?

                “Kuro, what happened to her?” I asked again. Kuro finally turned to me, looking very annoyed. He seemed strained to try and keep his emotions under control. “I haven’t seen her.” He said stubbornly. “Now stop asking about it.” He snapped, turning to the window again. Whatever was happening with him left his bond with me weak. He couldn’t hide his emotions from me, so I knew he was lying about that.

                “Kuro, I know you’re lying. Tell me what happened to Jane. Is she an Angel like Ma-“ He cut me off with a dark chuckle. He looked at me from the side of his eye, a dark look on his face. “Trust me sweetheart, Jane was no angel.” He said in a taunting tone. He knew just what to do to get me angry it seemed. Even with my anger, there was one word that stood out in that sentence. “What do you mean by ‘was’ no angel? What happened?” I asked, a bit afraid of the answer I would get.

                Kuro looked at the window again, not responding to me. He continued to watch every movement of every person that walked by below him. He tensed up as if trying to control himself from jumping out the window. I still wondered if he was alright. I needed to know though. “Kuro, just tell me already! When are you going to just spit it out?” I snapped, angry with his silence. “Don’t forget that you were also gone for what a week? You had something to do with it didn’t you?” I was furious now.

                Something in him snapped. He turned on me quickly, slamming me into the ground with one push. He growled like an animal, eyes darker than usual. “Of course I had something to do with it.” He spat, smirking slightly now. I felt it. He was slowly dying because of it. He needed a soul, and he finally snapped. “Kuro, what did you do?” Even though I felt scared out of my mine, I tried my hardest to stay calm. I didn’t want him to think later on about how scared I was. I’m a Keeper; I needed to start acting like one.

                Kuro chuckled darkly, stepping on my chest. I winced, trying to fight back the tears that stung my eyes from the pain. “K-Kuro, stop it!” I snapped, trying to tell him through thought of what he was doing. I started to become desperate as the pain got worse. “Kuro stop it!” I snapped, tears stinging the back of my eyes. He stopped eyes wide as he looked down at me in shock. He moved back, eyes still burning with hunger as he moved away from me.