29 - YET TO BE REWRITTEN

Start from the beginning

Ashley
oh boiiiii

Within seconds, my phone is ringing, startling me to the point where I almost drop it.

I consider hanging up, maybe even stalling it until she stops calling. But I texted her for a reason, so with shaking hands, I press Answer and bring the phone up to my ear.

"Girl," she says on the other line, sounding out of breath. "What's going on?"

"What happened to you?" I ask her, in a somewhat amused tone. I straighten myself up, the sound of my best friend's voice putting me at ease.

"I-" she says, gasping for breath. "I walked... I walked-"

"What, seven hundred miles?" I joke.

"Up the stairs," she finishes, letting out a wail. "I'm on the landing right now trying not to pass the fuck out."

I laugh, shaking my head at her. "You are something else, Ashley Fitzgerald."

"I know, I know," she chuckles, her heaving becoming calmer. "Now, what's wrong with you?"

"Oh, right," I exhale. "Ash, you have to promise me you won't hate me."

"I can't hate you, we made friendship wedding vows remember?" she reminds me, and I let out a breathy laugh.

"Yeah, yeah, I remember. I gave you a candy pop and you gave me a chewed up gummy ring."

"See? Best pals for life." she laughs. "Now tell me."

I sigh. "Ashley, listen, I don't-"

"You're stalling! I refuse to let you stall!"

"Stalling? What's stal-"

"I will eat your first born child, Sophie, don't test me-"

"I should just leave it alon-"

"Bitch-"

"Look,"

"I'm looking-"

"I-"

"You what?"

"Kissed-"

"Luke? I know that-"

"I kissed Calum!" I blurt out, much louder than I intended it to be.

There's a short silence on the other line as I yank the phone away from my ear, in fear of having her scream at me.

But she doesn't.

It's dead quiet. Even Ashley's heavy breaths have been put to a halt.

She hates you now. Well done.

She hates you, and so does Luke, and maybe even Calum.

"Ashley," I finally say, hesitance in my voice.