Kassandra Ch.12

Ch.12:Beautiful Nightmare

3rd person pov

Elijah had walked the entire length of the Salvatore boarding house by the time Damon had calmed down. It was a boring task but it kept Elijah occupied and his mind clear. Things were going to be more complicated now that more of Klaus and Kassandra’s curse had been revealed. One could not be destroyed without both of them being destroyed. Were Elijah’s ill feelings toward Klaus strong enough to sacrifice his sister also? Of course not. Elijah loved Kassandra; she was his little sister whom he had watched grow into a beautiful monster.

Rebekah put down the television remote and looked at Elijah. She had heard his inner monologue about loving Kass. “It hasn’t been the right love for several hundred years has it Elijah?” She asked.

Hope looked up at Rebekah, moving from her sister’s lap. She didn’t want to talk about Kass. She didn’t even want to think about Kass. Hope pulled up knees to her chest and put her hands on her ears in an attempt to block out her older siblings.

Elijah gave Hope a pitying look before answering Rebekah. “I don’t believe I know what you mean. Kassandra is my-”

“She’s Nik’s sister too. But did that stop him from fucking her?”

“It should have!” Elijah yelled, losing his temper. “It’s wrong and immoral to be with a sister the way Niklaus is with Kassandra! Why do you think I avoided Kass whenever I could as a human? One slip and I was- as I believe the phrase goes- toast!” More deception. More lies. As long as Rebekah didn't know the truth about Farid and himself Elijah would be fine

Joshua stifled a laugh. “Am I the only one who doesn’t find Kassandra attractive or wish to sleep with the woman? Is it just an age thing?” He looked Elijah in the eyes. “You’ve gone mad, mate.”

“I think I have too,” Hope said with her hands still pressed to her ears. “Look outside, the lot of you. It’s Papa.”

Elijah turned to the nearest window. As sure as the sun rises their father stood outside conversing with their mother. She was holding a single red rose, tears streaking her pale face. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a loose tangle of curls and her blue eyes were dancing with sadness. Elijah didn’t understand. Their mother and father were supposed to be dead.

“Mama! Papa!” Hope exclaimed as she ran out the door. Right before her siblings eyes Hope turned into a little human girl again. Her brown hair grew wavier and longer losing some of its immortal luster. Her eyes also lost their vampire shine.

“What the hell?” Rebekah followed Hope as if some magnetic force was pulling her. Joshua watched carefully. He had never been particularly close to his parents and seeing them now, alive again, stirred no desire in him to go to them. Elijah knew this about Joshua. He also knew dark magic was at work here. It could possibly be the same dark magic that had aided Elijah in Elena’s resurrection. Joshua spared a look at Elijah, sighed, and followed his two sisters. Better to be with them then with an emotionally suppressed Elijah.

Elijah moved to follow suit, but Damon appeared in front of him. The younger vampire had been silent as a ghost with his movements much like his slave counterpart had been back in the day.

Damon grabbed Elijah by the shoulders. He ignored the tingling sensation coursing through him and said, “We have to find Kass. She’s out there alone with Klaus! That isn’t good for anyone!”

Elijah clenched his fist. “Unless you plan on becoming a vampire-kabob, Damon, I suggest you release me. Now.” The last part was said through clenched teeth. Damon let go hesitantly; Elijah tried unsuccessfully to ignore the fat he could still feel Damon’s searing touch.

“Most unfortunately I have more important things to attend to then referring your little hide-and-go-seek game with Klaus.” Elijah walked to the door. “If you’ll excuse me.”

****

“Nicklaus? Kassandra?”

Kassandra rolled over wiping sleep from my eyes. A woman was standing looking down on her and Niklaus. She went to pull the bed sheets over her head, but they weren’t there. The bed wasn’t even there! She was lying on the ground with Klaus beside her. His arm was draped around her waist; his hot breath warmed the back of Kassandra's neck.

“Klaus!” She shoved Klaus awake wanting him to make the woman go away so she could continue sleeping. The little change in venue didn’t matter. It could have been a full moon last night and she just blacked out. That happens more often then not. With how tired she was that was probably the best explanation.

Klaus didn’t respond so she shoved him once more. This time he woke up.

“Fuck Kassandra! I was having a good dream! What the hell was that for?”

“What was your dream about?”

Klaus smiled like the devil and rolled on top of her. His lips connected with his twin's painfully slow. The kiss started out soft, but grew hungrier with each passing second. He nipped at her lower lip playfully.

“That was part of it.” He said breathlessly when he pulled away.

“Lovely dream.” She laced her hands around his neck.

“Very.”

The woman cleared her throat rudely. Klaus stood up in the blink of an eye. Any human would have missed it. Hell, Kassandra almost did herself. Klaus stopped short.

“Mother?” His voice was slightly panicked.

“Niklaus.” She hugged Klaus tightly. Kassandra got up off the ground and dusted the grass off her body.

Nick, what’s going on?

She’s going to take us to Mikael.

What? No! Nick, this is our mother!

There was no answer for a moment. Then, Kassandra could see their mom the way Klaus saw her. A traitor who wished them dead. But why? Why did she want them, her own children, dead?

Not you Kassandra. Just me. Elijah and the others told her everything. See? Klaus forced her mind on Kassandra. She found herself gasping at the onslaught of memories. They hadn’t just traveled back in time some how. They were in a sort of alternate universe. One where not all of them turned into the Originals. Only Elijah was a vampire, Klaus and Kassandra had been hybrids, and the others were human. 

Had been. They had been.

In this world Kassandra really had died. Klaus went bloodthirsty for revenge after that. The witches killed him too.

Before she could stop him, Klaus ripped out their mother’s heart. Her lifeless body crumpled to the ground. The grass around her turned bright cherry red and Kassandra felt her gums pulse with an aching need to release their fangs. Klaus held out the still beating heart to her. Blood oozed from it deliciously, tauntingly slow. She reached out and took it from Klaus cautiously. It had been ages since the last time she had drank straight from a victim’s heart. More specifically she hadn’t done that since the last time she was with Klaus. He watched with unmasked interest as Kassandra held the heart above her head and let the warm liquid sooth her now dry throat.

It was as if a switch turned off inside her then. She was no longer Kass, Elijah, Rebekah, Hope, and Joshua’s sister. She was Kassandra, the Original, the hybrid, Niklaus’s twin sister… the monster she thought she had buried deep inside her when she left him the very first time.

“More.” She said. She could feel blood drip off her face and  wiped it away with her palm. Sharp fangs tore at her bottom lip. “Now.”