Chapter 20: Chances We Take.

I woke up to the sun pouring in my window. There were more blankets lying on top of me than what I had fallen asleep with, which meant someone covered me up. The bed was empty beside me, but the smell of bacon and eggs filled my nose.

My heart rate picked up at the thought that Asher might be in the kitchen cooking me breakfast instead of on a plane to London. I threw the blankets off of me, taking the warmth with them. The girl in the mirror looked different as she passed the same time I did. Her hair was a mess and so was her face – all red a blotchy.

The smell of breakfast lingered even stronger as I made my way into the living room and then into the kitchen. But the long, curly blonde hair that belonged to Ellie was not what I was expecting.

The urge to cry hit me like a truck fully loaded. A small squeak escaped my mouth accidentally as I leaned against the counter. Ellie twisted around and gave me a sympathetic smile.

"I made breakfast, are you hungry?" She asked softly, placing a plate with bacon, eggs, and pancakes in front of me. I looked down at it and it felt like I had gotten the wind knocked out of me. It was like I was realizing the mistakes I had really made.

"I'm so stupid, Ellie," I cried as she hurried over to me to wrap me in her arms. I didn't cry though, I was finished with that. But the ache I had and hatred I felt for myself was a lot for me to handle. Ellie let me go and grabbed something off the counter before handing it to me.

"What's this?" I sniffled. My eyes felt puffy from holding back the tears.

"In my opinion, I think you made a good decision. I mean..." I waited to open the folded paper until she was finished talking. "You've got your head screwed on tight, Bea. You have everything figured out and you know where you'll be in a few years. I think this was the best decision."

I couldn't tell if she was just trying to make me feel as if I had made the worst decision of my life or if she actually agreed with it. Instead of answering her, I opened the paper and recognized Asher's untidy handwriting down the page.

Carefully pulling myself onto a stool without taking my eyes off the paper, I began to read it quietly. Ellie disappeared back into the kitchen as I leaned onto the counter.

Bea, I love you so much. I decided to face my problems, not run from them. I'm going to do this for my brothers, my fans, and for you, and for my mom. I kind of had this whole note thought out but I forgot it. Just promise me you'll be happy, and I'll be happy too.

-Asher

The last words he scribbled, "Promise me you'll be happy and I'll be happy too" sparked a memory in my mind. It felt it was just yesterday and that it only lasted for a split second.

I took Asher's hand and sat down on the hood of his car, my converses hanging off the edge. "Have you ever heard the saying 'everything happens for a reason'?"

He laced our fingers together and held them close to his heart. "Yeah," he answered.

"We will all take our different paths after today. But no matter what happens, I want you to promise me something." I looked up into his eyes that were filled with curiosity and bravery and everything I knew he was and held them there.

"Whatever it is, I promise." I giggled at his response.

"Seriously, though." I chuckled. "I want you to promise me that you'll be happy. No matter where you are or what you're doing, just be happy. And I will too."

"I promise, Bea." He kissed the top of my head and hugged me, a moment of silence filling the space between us.

"Mr. Hawkins and Miss Montgomery," our principal called from the back doors of the cafeteria. "Please join us, will you?"